LaunchBox Community Forums

BIGBOX Game Exit Issue

Eros-700BC

I'm having a minor issue when exiting games in BigBox; I like most use an XBOX ONE Controller when using BigBox. The problem is when I exit any game, regardless of platform, my menu "freezes" by that I mean no controller input works and videos stop but if I hit right-click on the mouse it instantly becomes responsive again with the controller and videos begin playing.

Does anyone have a fix or workaround? I looked at the options for BigBox and the Theme Options but didn't notice anything. Like I said it's a very minor issue but a fix would be nice. Thank you. 

Hello,

I reported some days ago the issue you are having making a video too.

Someone replied saying it's a known problem.

Hope devs fix it because it's a bad one and I found no solution.

GREETs

Edited by nohero

11 hours ago, Eros-700BC said:

The problem is when I exit any game, regardless of platform, my menu "freezes" by that I mean no controller input works and videos stop but if I hit right-click on the mouse it instantly becomes responsive again with the controller and videos begin playing.

1 hour ago, nohero said:

Someone replied saying it's a known problem.

Those freezes are basically Windows not giving back focus to BigBox after closing a game or emulator. I personally would not describe it as "a known problem" because for me it does not happen with most emulators or games. Just a few individual games. Like a few TeknoParrot or pc games. If BigBox freezes after closing all of your games or emulators, maybe you can take a look at how you close them? I mean, if you use an "exit script", is your exit script optimal or maybe the startup/shutdown screens are interfering? Is there still something of the game or emulator that keeps running in the background that prevents BigBox from regaining focus? Is there any other app preventing BigBox from having focus? If your a bit familiar with autohotkey, you can make a short script to have BigBox regain focus after closing a game with the "WinActivate" command.

In short what I want to say is this: If BigBox freezes after closing all your games, maybe you can investigate what the cause would be. BigBox runs on Windows and it is not always possible for BigBox to influence what Windows does. If it is just a few individual games you can fix it with an autohotkey script. (as an additional app added to your game or directly in LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > "your emulator" > Running AutoHotKey Script tab)

Mine doesn't freezes, loses focus and using a script doesn't solve it.

I tried the ragain plugin by jayjay but doesn't solve that because it works only if the game doesn't change the desktop resolution.

So, my problem is with all the games or emulators that use a different desktop resolution then BigBox loses focus and all what I tried can't solve it.

Check my video @Koroth

I launch a game that change dektop resolution with Game Loader, then I launch another game with DEmul that does the same and relaunch the first game and shit happens. It's an issue that appears using the StartUp because without it doesn't appears so it needs top be fixed by devs.

But let me know if you know how to solve it, thanks.

Edited by nohero

17 minutes ago, nohero said:

So, my problem is with all the games or emulators that use a different desktop resolution then BigBox loses focus and all what I tried can't solve it.

From your video it is very hard to make out what happens and what the problem is exactly, but here a couple of thoughts:

- If you do exactly the same in LaunchBox as you did in your video, does the same thing still happens?

- Any different behavior if you disable startup/shutdown screens?

- If a game changes resolution, after closing the game, it takes a couple of seconds for Windows to revert back to the original resolution.

- I am not sure which emulator you are using, but are you sure the emulator (and all its windows) are closed correctly and completely?  

5 minutes ago, Koroth said:

From your video it is very hard to make out what happens and what the problem is exactly, but here a couple of thoughts:

- If you do exactly the same in LaunchBox as you did in your video, does the same thing still happens?

- Any different behavior if you disable startup/shutdown screens?

- If a game changes resolution, after closing the game, it takes a couple of seconds for Windows to revert back to the original resolution.

- I am not sure which emulator you are using, but are you sure the emulator (and all its windows) are closed correctly and completely?  

It doesn't happen with LaunchBox.

As I said in my previous comment, without StartUp it doesn't happen ( LaunchBox it's not affected even with StartUp enabled ).

My monitor shows when Windows change and revert back resolution so I know when it happens.

Emulator used in the video is Game Loader but it happens with all emus that change desktop resolution ( as already said ). It's closed properly because it uses ESC by dafault like MAME.

Edited by nohero