LaunchBox Community Forums

Question on Theme's/Organization

HisokaRyodan

Good morning everyone! Longtime Launchbox user, but recently reorganizing my collection and redoing Launchbox so I wanted to ask for a few inputs on if I am doing this correctly. 

To preface this, I want my setup to be as followed:

Console Name -> 1. USA/2. Japan/3. Europe -> Playlists

I understand you can use playlists for region, but you cant do playlists WITHIN playlists.... If I could I'd simply have: Sony Playstation (Platform) -> 1. USA (Playlist) -> Co-op (Playlist)... However the goal is to have the ability to create playlists for each region separately. The reason is simply. I ONLY play japanese games, and usually just RPGs. I study japanese so all the games I play are in Japanese, and for obvious text based reasons, rpgs. I want to be able to have the ability to do this:

Sony Playstation -> 2. Japan -> RPGs
and
Sony Playstation -> 1. USA -> Co-op

This way finding new RPGs to play for myself is super easy, but if I have friends over finding ENGLISH games to play together is also very easy. 

Currently what I have done is Create a new Platform category, then move that to the root, Then create a new Platform that includes all one region. Then I'll rename that platform to fit the region... so in the case of 3DS I rename 'Nintendo 3DS' to '1. USA (3DS)' and then move that UNDER the platform category. I have currently only done 3DS as a test, but I want to know if you think this is a good solution for what I'm trying to accomplish

so my structure is currently this:

Top Level:
Nintendo 3DS (Platform Category)

Next Level: 
1. USA (3DS) (Platform)
2. Japan (3DS) (Platform)
3. Europe (3DS) (Platform)

Bottom Level:
Any Playlist I want

I am pretty sure this should be sufficient, but it is a lot of manual work, which is fine, just want to make sure I only do this once. This also begs the question of where do the logos go for the platforms? I have attached pitchers, but since all of the platforms are initially put in as 3DS they all have the same Nintendo 3DS logo. I would want to just make my own that includes the region. 

Thanks alot for any info you can give!

This is what launchbox starts with going to platform category. I am aware because its a category I can't get the cool test for the system....? Either way I'm fine with this. Is there a way to have the text appear as a banner though?

BigBox - Platform Categories.PNG

This is where I would need to input the region into the Banner. Do you know where these banners live? This is the Platforms that I have renamed to 1. USA (3DS), 2. Japan (3DS).

BigBox - Platforms.PNG

Here is what Launchbox looks like to show Platform Category -> Platform -> Playlist which is specifically what I need to have accomplished. 

Launchbox View.PNG

Edited by HisokaRyodan

Hi @HisokaRyodan. This is definitely possible, and like you are finding out, there's a lot of ways you can accomplish this.

If I were doing this, I'd probably create a category inside of Sony PlayStation, and then a playlist inside of there. So the structure would be something like:

• Sony PlayStation (platform)
    • Japan (Category)
      • RPGs (Playlist)

Things to note:

• You can have a Unique Name, a Nested Name, and a Sort Title. For my RPGs playlist, I'd probably do something like, Unique Name: PS1 - Japan - RPGs, Nested Name: RPGs, Sort Title: RPGs. The Unique Name can't match any other playlist, The Nested Name is what gets displayed in LaunchBox, and the Sort Title is used to sort the list the way you want.
  • I would set up the playlist to auto-populate. It would use the following variables:
    • Platform - Is Equal To - Sony PlayStation
    • Region - Contains - Japan
    • Genre - Contains - Role-Playing
  • You can add custom playlist/category images (and a video) within the Edit Playlist/Category window (in LaunchBox, right click your playlist or category and choose Edit). These will be used in Big Box.
  • Like 2