LaunchBox Community Forums

Can I automatically remove duplicate MAME ROMs which are slightly different versions?

Soop

I noticed some snaps weren't playing for a few titles, mostly CPS2, and when I was sure I'd downloaded them, I think I found the issue.  The ROMset I'm using is a bit OTT, with several versions of the same game, and subtle differences to the name of the ROM.  I figured out that the snap needs the exact same name as the ROM to be picked up, but after consolidating, it seems like the version Launchbox is using is not the "standard" name, hence the issue

So my question is, is there any way to make Launchbox use the standard name of each ROM, i.e. ssf2t rather than ssf2teu, or is there any way to delete or remove the non-standard named duplicates automatically? 

*edit* just to add, I've looked up some stuff, and it looks like this wasn't an option 5 years ago (things may have changed). The other thing that would help me is asking Launchbox to only use the ROM with the standard name.  Is that a possibility?

Edited by Soop

19 minutes ago, Soop said:

I noticed some snaps weren't playing for a few titles, mostly CPS2, and when I was sure I'd downloaded them, I think I found the issue.  The ROMset I'm using is a bit OTT, with several versions of the same game, and subtle differences to the name of the ROM.  I figured out that the snap needs the exact same name as the ROM to be picked up, but after consolidating, it seems like the version Launchbox is using is not the "standard" name, hence the issue

So my question is, is there any way to make Launchbox use the standard name of each ROM, i.e. ssf2t rather than ssf2teu, or is there any way to delete or remove the non-standard named duplicates automatically? 

If snaps were downloaded from within Launchbox they would have the game name, not the file name.

image.thumb.png.139b88493f4e423b45771d424370089a.png

20 minutes ago, Soop said:

What version is being used as the default is completely dependant on the options you chose in the import wizard. Like your example of ssf2eu, i'm going to assume that is Super Street Fighter II European version rom, so if you had Europe selected in your preferred region in the MAME import wizard that is the correct version. Also the parent rom of a game is often the Japanese one (as most games were made in Japan and released there first) so if you choose any region other than Japan in the import wizard you are not getting the original game for a lot of them, you will get the version for the region you specified, which isnt the parent rom, and is why the file name is different, than the likely Japanese parent rom.

2 minutes ago, Soop said:

Oh, I downloaded the SQ snaps from Emumovies - I had no idea you could import them via Launchbox, I thought you just dumped them into the folder

You do dump them in a folder if you dont have a premium emumovies account. If snaps are downloaded from within Launchbox they are renamed on the fly to match the game name, not the file name, so in your ssf2eu example, that will just show as Super Street Fighter II in the UI, so the video would of been renamed to match.

hmmm, there's no option to download snaps via Launchbox on the media import wizard, and there's no option to specify region on the import ROM wizard.  There's the consolidate ROMs option, which I used, but that also gives no options and appears to have consolidated games into one of the non-standard names.

Can you point me to where I can download snaps please?

4 minutes ago, Soop said:

Can you point me to where I can download snaps please?

As i said in my previous reply, you need a paid premium subscription to emumovies to download manuals/music/videos in Launchbox. You only have access to the low quality ones on the website with the free account, and they will have the file names not the game names when downloaded directly from their website.