LaunchBox Community Forums

Media Scraper super slow

EdgarLDSantos

I'm trying to download the "Advertisement Flyer - Front" for my mame rom set and its taking hours... 13 HOURS to download 4000 of 6769( and 3 erros)

1º i already read others posts, the only two answers that i saw was "uncheck that box" and " emumovies problem";

2º i'm not using Emumovies and doesnt matter if a have checked or not that cursed box;

3º Its not only for mame, any console, any type of media and any amount of media, the download is super ultra mega SLOW

Is there anything a can do ?

140283210_OperaInstantneo_2021-08-14_171219_www.speedtest_net.thumb.png.c8ba46c8d2e9e74a98208d57bc541fde.png

I too am having the same issue, I have added most of the ROM's I want to (MAME, Sega, Nintendo etc.) but the media is beyond slow to download, I left it over night and it did around 250 files, I rebooted this morning and started again and so far it's done 162 files in a couple of hours, this will take years to finish at the current speed.

I wondered if it was an EmuMovies issue so I downloaded the sync tool and so far in 10 minutes it's downloaded 130,000 files in 10 minutes. 

Am I missing something as well or is there a current issue with the media downloads/sync? 

While I don't have all the answers, I can provide some feedback here.

9 hours ago, hearntd said:

I too am having the same issue, I have added most of the ROM's I want to (MAME, Sega, Nintendo etc.) but the media is beyond slow to download, I left it over night and it did around 250 files, I rebooted this morning and started again and so far it's done 162 files in a couple of hours, this will take years to finish at the current speed.

I wondered if it was an EmuMovies issue so I downloaded the sync tool and so far in 10 minutes it's downloaded 130,000 files in 10 minutes. 

Am I missing something as well or is there a current issue with the media downloads/sync? 

LaunchBox cannot use the same process as their sync tool. EmuMovies provides their API, which you are finding is no longer sufficient. We are doing our best to bandaid the api to continue to function until the EmuMovies team releases their new API for us to integrate.

You should note that images downloaded from the sync tool will work in LaunchBox, you will just need to manually place them in the appropriate image folder.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:24 PM, EdgarLDSantos said:

I'm trying to download the "Advertisement Flyer - Front" for my mame rom set and its taking hours... 13 HOURS to download 4000 of 6769( and 3 erros)

1º i already read others posts, the only two answers that i saw was "uncheck that box" and " emumovies problem";

2º i'm not using Emumovies and doesnt matter if a have checked or not that cursed box;

3º Its not only for mame, any console, any type of media and any amount of media, the download is super ultra mega SLOW

Is there anything a can do ?

140283210_OperaInstantneo_2021-08-14_171219_www.speedtest_net.thumb.png.c8ba46c8d2e9e74a98208d57bc541fde.png

Internet speeds are unfortunately not the only factor when downloading thousands of files, but for your use case of just using LaunchBox games database on one image type, we definitely want to see improvements in the speed. I can definitely say not everyone is experiencing the same slowdowns when downloading from the LaunchBox Games Database.

Some general tips: Try to import games first without downloading any media. Then run the media downloader on hundreds of games and see if you are still getting slowdowns.

Some others may have some other tips as well.

Many thanks for the information, sounds like I've just got unlucky on my timing on starting with LB.

Real shame as I was hoping this was going to be the easy solution (I'm sure it will be once all is sorted), I guess I'll just get the basic system up and running without the media and get that once things are working fully. Have they indicated any time scales on the new API?

8 hours ago, hearntd said:

Many thanks for the information, sounds like I've just got unlucky on my timing on starting with LB.

Real shame as I was hoping this was going to be the easy solution (I'm sure it will be once all is sorted), I guess I'll just get the basic system up and running without the media and get that once things are working fully. Have they indicated any time scales on the new API?

No eta unfortunately. There are some more bandaid fixes in the current beta branch.

One of the main issues is their api timing out after you started the download process.

In the meantime a few suggestions:

• Import your games first without downloading any media, then you can use something like the audit tool to select a chunk of games and run the download tool, reducing the likelyhood of you being timed-out.
  • Use their sync utility. Take the downloaded images and place them into the correct LaunchBox folder (eg. Box front images would go into LaunchBox\Images\[platform name]\Box - Front\
  • Download from the LaunchBox Games DB (the first media option in the wizard)

• Thanks 1