LaunchBox Community Forums

Tips for moving multiple Launchbox, emulator and rom folders

VACRMH

Just built a new system and I want to get things more organized. Currently I have everything on one HDD under a folder called "Launchbox". But what I'd like to do is move the LB install along with images to my main OS SSD. As for the games and emulators, I wanted to keep them on the drive they're currently on, but in their own directories to keep things organized. Such as D:\Emulators and D:\Games\Sony Playstation\USA and so forth.

Would there be an easy way to do this inside LB itself? I was thinking if not I could edit some of the XML files with find and replace. I know that might take awhile to go through everything but I'd rather not have to start from scratch, as I have lots of platform categories and playlists (Each console is broken down by USA, Europe, Fan Translations, Japan, Homebrew/Unlicensed, Beta/Prototype and so forth for example)

Thanks!

Depending on how you have everything imported and set up in LaunchBox, you should be able to move everything to the locations you want them to be.

Then in LaunchBox you would have to change the locations of both your emulators application paths and change your ROMs folder path.

• Emulators application path - go into Tools > Manage Emulators - edit each emulator's application path to their new locations
  • ROMs folder path - Within a platform, select all games and go into Tools > (File Management) > Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games - do this for all your platforms

You also want to check that after you move your emulators to the new location that they all still work outside of LaunchBox. Most move gracefully, while some do not, and may need configuration adjustment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faeran said:
  • ROMs folder path - Within a platform, select all games and go into Tools > (File Management) > Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games - do this for all your platforms

Thanks! 

For this part, would it also save the subfolder layout I have? Currently it's set to something like D:\Launchbox\Games\Sony Playstation\USA and so forth

17 minutes ago, VACRMH said:

Thanks! 

For this part, would it also save the subfolder layout I have? Currently it's set to something like D:\Launchbox\Games\Sony Playstation\USA and so forth

I'm not entirely sure how you have things set up. Remember that LaunchBox has Categories, Platforms, and Playlists.

The recommended way to set up LaunchBox is to import one Platform, say, Sony PlayStation, with all your games, then create Playlists to split up the platform into multiple sections, in your case, into Regions. So, in this scenario, you would only have 1 Sony PlayStation platform, so you only need to change the ROM path once.

If, instead, you create multiple Sony PlayStation "Platforms", then each one would have to have their ROM path changed.