LaunchBox Community Forums

new monitor upgrade 1080 or 1440

Getty

Hi folks . Looking at new monitor this week and confused . At the mo I use a 22" 1080 and want a newer 27" ips freesync/ multi .  from what I can read on other searches if I went 27" 1440 165hz older games that ran on 1080 ( half life 2, stalker , 10 years older games) will look blurry and bad on 1440. Also emulation games <60hz will need monitor setting changed every time I want to switch.

does anyone use 27" 1440 freesync and have any issues ? and can the monitor just be set and left for all modern down to emulation.  if there are issues then I may just have to use 2 monitors . Thanks for any advice.

Just now, Getty said:

Hi folks . Looking at new monitor this week and confused . At the mo I use a 22" 1080 and want a newer 27" ips freesync/ multi .  from what I can read on other searches if I went 27" 1440 165hz older games that ran on 1080 ( half life 2, stalker , 10 years older games) will look blurry and bad on 1440. Also emulation games <60hz will need monitor setting changed every time I want to switch.

does anyone use 27" 1440 freesync and have any issues ? and can the monitor just be set and left for all modern down to emulation.  if there are issues then I may just have to use 2 monitors . Thanks for any advice.

OK, you are misinformed here a bit i'm afraid. As for actual PC games, just set the resolution of the game to 1440p, problem solved. You are right of course that playing lower resolution content than your native screen resolution will look a little blurry, thats just what happens when you stretch a lower resolution image to a higher resolution. It's a PC though, so just set the PC and games to 1440p. As for refresh rate, you wont need to touch that, just set it to what the monitor supports and call it a day, games that were 60Hz, will just still play at 60Hz. The refresh rate of the monitor is a target and as fast as it will go, but it will happily do any refresh rate below that if its a Gsync/Freesync.

1 minute ago, Getty said:

What if the games resolution does not go higher than 1080 ? Does it just stretch or get black bars .On emulators is it the case of just setting x times internal resolution in the gui .

That will depend on your settings, but any PC game should do any resolution your monitor will support, there is no arbitrary 1080p cut-off for things like that, games ask Windows what resolutions the OS/Monitor supports and gives you those options in game. As for emulators they will usually always fill the screen top to bottom regardless of your resolution using integer scaling, which is multiples of the original resolution. Take SNES as a example that is a 240p system (or there abouts all old systems can be a little off but are usually around there) 240x3 is 720, so 720p, so 240px6 is 1440p a exact match for a 1440p monitor so it will fill the screen from top to bottom and still look correct and not stretched as its a simple multiplier, you will have black bars left and right, but that would be correct as old games were not in widescreen, and both 1080p and 1440p are widescreen formats.

Do you think there is a point in going 1080 to 1440, anti aliasing I assume would benefit 1440. The most newer games for me are crysis and fallouts 🤫. My PC is built manely for emulation purposes , got 2 x 5tb hdds and under 1TB of images of moderns ( modern to me anyway after wiping the dust off ). Only 2 I have seen to decide are 27" 1440 165 hz , 27" 1080 165 hz , both gsync / freesync but nearly £200 difference. I'm 47 and not kept up in last 5 years .

11 minutes ago, Getty said:

Do you think there is a point in going 1080 to 1440, anti aliasing I assume would benefit 1440. The most newer games for me are crysis and fallouts 🤫. My PC is built manely for emulation purposes , got 2 x 5tb hdds and under 1TB of images of moderns ( modern to me anyway after wiping the dust off ). Only 2 I have seen to decide are 27" 1440 165 hz , 27" 1080 165 hz , both gsync / freesync but nearly £200 difference. I'm 47 and not kept up in last 5 years .

I personally have a 4K LG OLED TV as well as a 27inch 1440p Acer monitor at 144Hz, the Acer monitor only cost me £289 from Curry's.

Buy ACER Nitro VG270UPbmiipx Quad HD 27" LCD Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

2 minutes ago, Getty said:

Ok, bought this 🤔

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-monitors/lg-ultragear-27gp850-quad-hd-27-nano-ips-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10225031-pdt.html

For 299, not bank breaking . If old retro looks bad / worse than 24" 1080 then I'll have both monitors on GPU . Thanks

That looks decent. Any reason you were so fixed on the 165Hz part? As i see that is also one, just the higher number? I dare you to see any difference between 144Hz and 165Hz with only your eyes, and that's if they are good eyes. :) 

Mainly down to a few brands , LG, asus . Gsync , freesync.  1440 , with display port and hdmi . And cost .

At least with currys and distant selling regs it can be returned if undesired . Wasnt actually fixed on the 165hz, just from a few that caught my eye that had it. But only 2 that were sub £300 after thinking more  . Had a brain fart over past few days thinking I was prepared to spend more, like double 🤫.... balls to that ! Was this LG above or asus below :

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-monitors/asus-tuf-vg27aq1a-quad-hd-27-ips-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10220251-pdt.html