LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project enabling issue

red36

I'm getting the following error when installing the Bezel project (it can't seem to complete. most particularly it seems to occur during the enabling process. I get the following error:
unknown.png
or some reason it's repeating the folder structure even though the install directory is set here

unknown.png

Anyone know what I can do?

Edit: Ive found the ini file and tried deleting the folder entry and re-entering but still is borked

Edited by red36

1 hour ago, dragon57 said:

Is the K: drive on a network? If so, make sure the permissions are set correctly so the installer can create the files required.

That's a smart guess, but no it's local. I will try setting the permissions anyway though, thanks!

1 hour ago, dragon57 said:

Is the K: drive on a network? If so, make sure the permissions are set correctly so the installer can create the files required.

OK, I gave it admin rights and after selecting the system during the enable prodecure and pressing OK the window seems to blink and return to the main menu of the program. I then load up launchbox/retroarch and still no bezel. The overlay preset in the menu is blank. 

17 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

I assume you have already started Retroarch to see if it runs? If not, do so, and try the bezel app again.

If you have run it, attach your retroarch.cfg file here and I'll look at it to see if I can discover anything.

Oh yeah retroarch/launchbox work great. The only thing that doesnt seem to be working is automatically applying the thematic bezels.

Here's the file, thanks for taking a look!

Retroarch.cfg

Thanks for the cfg file. I reviewed it and see no issues with it.

A few questions.

1. Is your retroarch installed by the installer version of Retroarch, or a downloaded zip file?
2. How much free space do you have on your c:\ drive?
3. Have you tried to install more than one themed bezel set? Which have you tried?
4. When you run the Bezel app, does the download operation seem to work, or does the app immediately return to the menu after selecting OK to start the install operations?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dragon57 said:

A few questions.

1. Is your retroarch installed by the installer version of Retroarch, or a downloaded zip file?
3. Have you tried to install more than one themed bezel set? Which have you tried?
4. When you run the Bezel app, does the download operation seem to work, or does the app immediately return to the menu after selecting OK to start the install operations?

1. It was installed by launchbox. I just did a fresh install from the launchbox exe. 

2. 504gb. 3.71tb on the install drive (k).

3. No, I can try doing that now. I only had Nintendo at first but have since got SNES and GBA. 

4. Yes the downloads work and all the files are there, as well as BKP files, which I assume are created by the BP exe. I can go in and select a bezel manually, but my impression is the program is meant to enable them itself. 

14 hours ago, dragon57 said:

A few questions.

Hey, so I ran it on SNES and it's worked perfectly. I tried the whole process again on NES exactly as I had done on SNES and still no bezels. So it seems like the problem isn't the BP but rather something in my NES settings? If it's only NES without the bezel that's not the worst in the world. Still, curious. 

editL OK further curious, I ran a few more snes games and not all the SNES games that have a bezel seem to get activated. Actraiser didn't, while Super Mario World did. Is that just par for the course as far as the install goes? My SNES games are all from the No-Intro site so I don't believe it's a matter of naming convention. 

Edited by red36

OK, so progress. Next step is to figure out why some bezels work and some don't.

When no bezels for a core work, generally the problem is the subdirectory name in the retroarch\config directory does not match what the core is expecting. What is the exact core name for NES you are using?

For SNES, since some bezels work and some don't, the problem must be a name mismatch between the cfg files for the core under retroarch\config. You mention Actraiser as not working. What is the exact name of the rom?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dragon57 said:

OK, so progress. Next step is to figure out why some bezels work and some don't.

When no bezels for a core work, generally the problem is the subdirectory name in the retroarch\config directory does not match what the core is expecting. What is the exact core name for NES you are using?

For SNES, since some bezels work and some don't, the problem must be a name mismatch between the cfg files for the core under retroarch\config. You mention Actraiser as not working. What is the exact name of the rom?

1.I'm just letting launchbox/retroarch launch the program. I believe the default it's set to is Nestopia. image.png.3b4cfdf5f53a649c60b1656cb0cdc680.png

2. Re Actraiser I took a look at the file names here. 

image.thumb.png.014ddfb99264e78e7a1e0677f31e3221.png

And found when I launched the USA version here. 

image.thumb.png.8446ebac5d71a148dfd8e1516890c628.png

Which IS set correctly here. 

image.thumb.png.b2f31a06a43ae39550dca9454b9da02c.png

I actually think in the particular case of actraiser its the arcade version that is fooling it. Actraiser 2 launches with the bezel automatically. So I think it's actually fully working on SNES. Apologies there for not testing further. 

I think that just leaves the NES one still outstanding. Honestly if I just have to set NES manually its not a huge deal. the BP seems to be more or less working for me for other systems so far. Still I'm curious where fault line lies with regards to NES. 

Thanks again for all your help!

image.png

Since Nestopia already has a directory for the NES cfg files under retroarch\config\Nestopia, the NES issue must be a naming issue. Even if you have a no-intro rom set, naming standards do change over time. Look in the Nestopia sub-directory and compare the names of those cfg files  with your rom names. They names must match 100% except for the suffix (cfg, zip, 7z).

For SNES, it appears you will just have to manually set the bezels for those games that don't already have cfg file. Actraiser, for example, only has cfg files for ActRaiser (Japan) (Translated En) and ActRaiser (USA).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Since Nestopia already has a directory for the NES cfg files under retroarch\config\Nestopia, the NES issue must be a naming issue. Even if you have a no-intro rom set, naming standards do change over time. Look in the Nestopia sub-directory and compare the names of those cfg files  with your rom names. They names must match 100% except for the suffix (cfg, zip, 7z).

For SNES, it appears you will just have to manually set the bezels for those games that don't already have cfg file. Actraiser, for example, only has cfg files for ActRaiser (Japan) (Translated En) and ActRaiser (USA).

Excellent, will do! Thanks so much for troubleshooting this with me Dragon, appreciate all the help!

• Like 1