LaunchBox Community Forums

Select Different Bios on Gamea (Sega CD and Saturn)

RaiderX1212

I have a question around using games from different territories.

It is a problem with Saturn and Sega CD games (for now). I have both US, Europe and Japanese games in my build but only the US games open obviously as I have the US Bios files in the Retroarch system folder. (Retroarch cores: Genesis Plus GX for Sega CD and Beetle Saturn)

I can’t seem to find an answer for this issue. There are some nice Japanese & Europe Sega CD games I would like to play.

I cannot be the only person who has had this issue but I cannot find an clear answer on this. It does not seem to work by just including the bios files in the system folder – at least not the bios files I believe to be for Europe and Japan.

22 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I cannot be the only person who has had this issue but I cannot find an clear answer on this. It does not seem to work by just including the bios files in the system folder – at least not the bios files I believe to be for Europe and Japan.

Beetle Saturn documentation

Genesis Plus GX documentation

In the core options of both cores, for "System Region", you must choose "Auto" or "Auto Select".

*Edit*

To be clear. The bios files do have to be named exactly as described in the documentation. Even the MD5 checksums must match.

Edited by Koroth

4 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

How would I be able to see the MD5 checksum for a bios I downloaded?

https://www.lifewire.com/validate-md5-checksum-file-4037391

But if you copy / paste the MD5 checksum from the documentation pages I linked into google, you are guaranteed to find the correct bioses. After downloading check if the files have the correct name according to the documentation. Then place the bios files in the "RetroArch\system" folder.

9 minutes ago, Koroth said:

https://www.lifewire.com/validate-md5-checksum-file-4037391

But if you copy / paste the MD5 checksum from the documentation pages I linked into google, you are guaranteed to find the correct bioses. After downloading check if the files have the correct name according to the documentation. Then place the bios files in the "RetroArch\system" folder.

Thank you kindly, that did the trick!

There seems to be many sites with incorrect bios files. Doing as you said by actually searching the checksum did the trick to lead me to the correct place.

I will now try same for Saturn and hope I get that working as well.

• Game On 1

1 minute ago, RaiderX1212 said:

OK it works for Saturn as well. This is just one of those cases where I overlook something really simple and just assume it is not possible.

No problem. Glad you got everything sorted out. Like you said, there are many bad or old bios dumps out there. And if the documentation lists the MD5 checksum, it makes it a lot easier to find the correct one. You just have to know what you are looking for!

• Thanks 1