LaunchBox Community Forums

Weird Image Issues After Windows 10 Upgrade

XanaduCSIV

Following a Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7, I have a strange issue where any new images I add for any games don't show in the image viewer after downloading them.  Keep in mind that Launchbox is on an external drive and was not impacted or changed at all during the upgrade.  All existing images prior to upgrading Windows still show fine, so only newly added ones don't display.  Take this "Box-Front" example image.  The image truly lands in the proper 'Images' sub-directory after being imported.  And it still displays properly in Launchbox.  But you cannot open / re-open the game (Edit) and see the image in the viewer.  I also looked in BigBox and used the "View Images Fullscreen" feature on the game, and the box-front image doens't display there either.  It's just a solid black screen.  But again, all images imported prior to the upgrade are viewable.  (I have screenshots but the forum upload feature is currently broken).

I tried uninstalling / reinstalling all versions of .NET framework with reboots.  I also grabbed a 12.6 Launchbox install and ran it.  Nothing has worked.

There is another weird image related issue in Bigbox with the "CriticalZoneV2-BlueBox" theme I use.  I get a Stack Overflow error when at the root of the menu after just being there for 2 seconds.  See screenshot (I have screenshots but the forum upload feature is currently broken).  It doesn't display the blue Critical Zone background and defaults to the generic background.  This is the only place I've seen this issue browsing around with the theme, so it's odd it is the only one.  "D:/Program Files/LaunchBox/Themes/CriticalZoneV2 - BlueBox/Images/Theme/czbackblue.png" does exist in that location and it isn't corrupt.  I tried the "repair" option for the whole theme in BigBox, but that didn't help.  I didn't have this problem on Windows 7.

Both issues might be completely separate, but they both relate in how images are failing to load properly in their respective views.  Like some disconnect happened with the image existing on the drive, and the app not able to view it.  Any ideas why there were never problems on Windows 7, but all of a sudden these issues appear using Windows 10?

---------------------------

An error occurred while parsing the custom SystemView. The default view is shown instead. Details on the error are below:

System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: 'Failed to create a 'ImageSource' from the text 'file:///D:/Program Files/LaunchBox/Themes/CriticalZoneV2 - BlueBox/Images/Theme/czbackblue.png'.' Line number '20' and line position '16'.

---> System.OverflowException: The image data generated an overflow during processing.

---> System.ArithmeticException: Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation.

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap..ctor(BitmapSource source, ColorContext sourceColorContext, ColorContext destinationColorContext, PixelFormat format)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.CreateCachedBitmap(BitmapFrame frame, BitmapSourceSafeMILHandle wicSource, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, BitmapPalette palette)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode.FinalizeCreation()

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode..ctor(Int32 frameNumber, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, BitmapDecoder decoder)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupFrames(BitmapDecoder decoder, ReadOnlyCollection`1 frames)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.get_Frames()

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame.CreateFromUriOrStream(Uri baseUri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy)

at System.Windows.Media.ImageSourceConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)

at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CreateObjectWithTypeConverter(ServiceProviderContext serviceContext, XamlValueConverter`1 ts, Object value)

at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CreateFromValue(ServiceProviderContext serviceContext, XamlValueConverter`1 ts, Object value, XamlMember property)

at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.Logic_CreateFromValue(ObjectWriterContext ctx, XamlValueConverter`1 typeConverter, Object value, XamlMember property, String targetName, IAddLineInfo lineInfo)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(Exception e, IXamlLineInfo lineInfo, Uri baseUri)

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Uri baseUri)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, ParserContext parserContext)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(XmlReader reader, ParserContext parserContext, XamlParseMode parseMode, Boolean useRestrictiveXamlReader, List`1 safeTypes)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Boolean useRestrictiveXamlReader)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream)

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Bootstrapper.FindVal(Object )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Bootstrapper.SelectProperty(Object last)

at ConfigCreator.FlushBroadcaster(String last, ConfigCreator )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Bootstrapper.OrderProperty(Type spec)
OK   

I have more findings.  I just now confirmed that I have a ton of games that had working images before that also show blank now in the edit viewer.  So this applies to a ton of past images as well as anything new I try to import for any games.

Now the question is...did a Launchbox update break a bunch of stuff at some point in the past that I didn't catch.  Like something between 12.6 on back to 11.8 or so.  Or does it really have something to do with running Launchbox against foundation components of Windows 7 vs Windows 10?

I've had my Launchbox install for numerous years now.  I've compared my components to what a brand new 12.6 install gives you.  I deleted any excess legacy files from my install to rule out anything interfering.  I also emptied my LBCache and BBCache directories in the Image folder.  Those things didn't make a difference unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

So this is still an issue....but I found a way to produce another error for it.  This is from using the "view images" feature in Launchbox.  When you arrow over to any images that don't display, you get this message.  Hope it helps with fixing in a future release.  Remember, this happens on thousands of images, both before and after Windows upgrades (from 7, 8, 8.1 -> 10, etc.)

(Inner Exception)

Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 12.7
Type:    System.ArithmeticException
Site:    
Source:  

(Outer Exception)

The image data generated an overflow during processing.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 12.7
Type:    System.OverflowException
Site:    Void FinalizeCreation()
Source:  PresentationCore

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.PictureViewerViewModel.RunSupportedSingleton(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.PictureViewerViewModel.LoginInvalidMethod(Int32 endinfo)
   at WriterOrder.MapPrincipalMap(Object , Int32 newVolume, WriterOrder )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.PictureViewerViewModel.NextImage()
   at SerializerGetter.MapPrincipalMap(Object , SerializerGetter )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.PictureViewerViewModel.ConcatInvalidMethod(Object i, KeyEventArgs result)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

4:08:13 PM Exception