LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps saying it corrupted

Sburch001

On 1/22/2022 at 12:28 PM, Sburch001 said:

Have Launchbox forever license and try to open up the app and it states that it's "corrupted" uninstall program and tried to reinstall but keeps coming up with same message. I paid for this so I want to actually use it. What do I do!?

Is this LaunchBox for Windows, or for Android?

• 5 months later...

I've started to see similar messages in LaunchBox for Windows too.  I have usually been able to restore the corrupted files from backup zips since the problem started.  I had been using a quite old version of LaunchBox for the last few years, and recently reactivated the option to check for updates on start up.  Since I updated to the latest version, I have had to restore various files from the backup quite regularly.  Is there anything that could be causing these files to become corrupt so regularly?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, aCanOfDann said:

I've started to see similar messages in LaunchBox for Windows too.  I have usually been able to restore the corrupted files from backup zips since the problem started.  I had been using a quite old version of LaunchBox for the last few years, and recently reactivated the option to check for updates on start up.  Since I updated to the latest version, I have had to restore various files from the backup quite regularly.  Is there anything that could be causing these files to become corrupt so regularly?

Sorry for the late reply. Often when this happens it's because of the use of an external scraper. Have you used any external scrapers to populate LaunchBox data? Or any external tools?

Thanks for replying!  No, I have done everything manually - added all of my emulators and games manually. 

I have been thinking of seeing whether a fresh start would help here.  I've tried re-installing over the top of the past installations, but the issue has re-emerged each time.  To start fresh, would I need only delete the previous LaunchBox folder and run a new installation?

I hope my ideas aren't too simple.

6 minutes ago, aCanOfDann said:

Thanks for replying!  No, I have done everything manually - added all of my emulators and games manually. 

I have been thinking of seeing whether a fresh start would help here.  I've tried re-installing over the top of the past installations, but the issue has re-emerged each time.  To start fresh, would I need only delete the previous LaunchBox folder and run a new installation?

Launchbox saves data when you close the app, how are you closing it, you're not force closing it or simply turning off your PC while the app is open are you? Also what exactly is the error saying is corrupted, is it a xml file? If so which one?

I just close with the Windows 'x' in the right corner.  I had wondered if perhaps there may have been background processes still closing when I shut down the computer, so have been leaving it on for a while prior to shutting down, but the problem has still cropped up again. 

The errors have been similar to:

"It appears that your LaunchBox/Data/Gamecontrollers.xml file is corrupt; Launch box can't continue. Please try restoring your backup file from the Backups folder  inside your LaunchBox root folder." 

The files given have varied, but Gamecontrollers.xml and listcache.xml have been repeat offenders.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:48 AM, aCanOfDann said:

It would be good to know if it's a configuration or data issue, so at least temporarily starting over is a good idea. What I would do is leave your current LaunchBox folder in tact so that you can back to it if you want/need to. Just run the LaunchBox installer and select a different folder. That way you can safely run two different copies of LaunchBox in two different folders.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:04 AM, aCanOfDann said:

I just close with the Windows 'x' in the right corner.  I had wondered if perhaps there may have been background processes still closing when I shut down the computer, so have been leaving it on for a while prior to shutting down, but the problem has still cropped up again. 

The errors have been similar to:

"It appears that your LaunchBox/Data/Gamecontrollers.xml file is corrupt; Launch box can't continue. Please try restoring your backup file from the Backups folder  inside your LaunchBox root folder." 

The files given have varied, but Gamecontrollers.xml and listcache.xml have been repeat offenders.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong in that regard. Sometimes issues like these can be caused by faulty/dying drives or a corrupted file system, though. So it would probably be worth running chkdsk to see if you have any errors on your drive.