LaunchBox Community Forums

Joystick / kb nav not working after exiting MAME through LaunchBox 12.7

lajaro

Tried searching this up, but the material terms are obviously rather common.

My joystick (Mayflash F500) works fine within MAME games launched through the LB interface.  When exiting, though, using a joystick button combo programmed to MAME's ESC key, the joystick is unresponsive, as are the keyboard arrow keys.  It seems LB app doesn't have focus. i.e. if I select a game by clicking on it with the mouse, then the joystick and KB will work again.

Everything works as expected in BigBox, though.

Has anyone else run into something like this, and if so, how did you solve it?

OS is Windows 10.

thanks in advance!

Edited by lajaro

• lajaro changed the title to Joystick / kb nav not working after exiting MAME through LaunchBox 12.7

I've also just noticed that when switching from BigBox to desktop mode (i.e. LaunchBox), the LB app doesn't get the focus making it necessary to click on the window/one of the game tiles to allow for joystick/kb navigation.

Based on all this, it seems like a UX bug (or if not a bug, at least an opportunity for improvement).

This is likely limited to your PC, and is being caused by specific software/hardware and not a bug with Launchbox at all (i dont have this issue myself for example). Things you can test, turn off the startup/shutdown screens, as well as the pause screens if you are using them and see if that helps.

Just as a FYI, i have MAME 0.240 in my Launchbox setup, and i also have the Mayflash F500 stick as my controller in MAME (set to dinput mode so that it doesnt conflict with my xinput controller) so my setup is arguably identical, other than hardware and software variances, and i dont have this issue at all.