LaunchBox Community Forums

Setting up launchbox/bigbox for the first time and looking for organization advice

jimbone007

Hey everyone, I just did a budget build pc for a home arcade and want to set up launch box the most organized way I can. My pc has a 128g ssd (has windows 10 installed on) and a 2tb hdd installed. This is my first build and what I want to do is have everything setup on the hhd since that has the space I need for roms, cores, meta  data etc. I would also like to set it up ( if posssible) to basically be able to be portable so I can easily do another build if I choose to in the future. Do I need to install all the supporting software to run launchbox on the hhd and ssd or just the hhd? Where should I place retro arch, techno parrot, Sega model 3 and more? Where should I place roms and cores? what do you guys recommend? Im not a complete noob when it comes to emulating and softmodding consoles but I am with launchbox and looking more for organization and easy of use recommendations more than anything. I plan on emulating everything up to gamecube/ps2 and everything arcade related. Thanks

Yea I realized that now. Followed a YouTube instructional video not realizing that where the programs are installed would be were they store everything downloaded through them like the cover art. That's why now I'm putting everything on the hhd. I thought I could install the basic programs on the ssd and have everything downloaded to the hdd by choosing the download path and the core and rom paths but i realize now its just better to put everything on the hhd. What about visual c,direct x, divx60,retro arch etc ? I already installed it on the ssd should I install it on the hhd if that's what I'll be running launchbox off of or will everything im running off the hhd use them of the ssd automatically? 

Edited by jimbone007

VC and DX will have to be installed to the C drive, those are system files. Retroarch and all emulators can go on the HDD in a sub folder of Launchbox. Certain emulators such as Dolphin and PCSX2 are not setup to be portable out of the box but they can be made portable. For example with Dolphin all you have to do is create a blank text file in the Dolphion directory called portable.txt.

One thing I would keep in mind when deciding your ideal setup is how much space LaunchBox will eat up as well. Video, images, manuals, and music have a way of creeping up on you especially if you are getting them from EmuMovies and LB.

Just those 4 directories on my setup have nearly 500GB devoted to them. Your mileage will vary depending on how many systems you import, but they add up fast.

image.png.95c2eee40c176991f13b324140007680.png