LaunchBox Community Forums

Forcing platform fanart in Big Box game menus using a custom theme?

Disco Lando

In a custom Big Box theme, it's possible to force platform fan art for the backgrounds of filters views by simply dropping files into the images/fanart folder named after the platform.

Unfortunately, it seems the only way to force platform fanart into the games views backgrounds is to drop images straight into the LaunchBox images folder under images/platforms/*platformname*. There doesn't seem to be a way to override these images from within a custom theme, either.

Up until now, I had been referencing custom images for the games views backgrounds from within the theme I'm working on, but I realized that the crossfade transition for the default background elements (transitions:TransitionPresenter) can't be applied to anything else - or, at least, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it if it's possible.

I just want to get a platform image as the background for the games view in my theme that acts like the default background (with crossfades and the ability to reference game fanart), but without having to manually drop files into the LaunchBox images directory. Is this even possible?

Edited by Disco Lando

• Disco Lando changed the title to Forcing platform fanart in Big Box game menus using a custom theme?
On 3/6/2022 at 2:11 AM, Disco Lando said:

In a custom Big Box theme, it's possible to force platform fan art for the backgrounds of filters views by simply dropping files into the images/fanart folder named after the platform.

Unfortunately, it seems the only way to force platform fanart into the games views backgrounds is to drop images straight into the LaunchBox images folder under images/platforms/*platformname*. There doesn't seem to be a way to override these images from within a custom theme, either.

Up until now, I had been referencing custom images for the games views backgrounds from within the theme I'm working on, but I realized that the crossfade transition for the default background elements (transitions:TransitionPresenter) can't be applied to anything else - or, at least, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it if it's possible.

I just want to get a platform image as the background for the games view in my theme that acts like the default background (with crossfades and the ability to reference game fanart), but without having to manually drop files into the LaunchBox images directory. Is this even possible?

You'd have to build a plugin to get that true crossfade effect, as it requires you to hold onto the previous image while the next one is loading in. You can get to a faux fading effect, but one would have to be gone before the next comes in.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:06 AM, Disco Lando said:

Alternatively, is a way to set a single fallback image as a default background for anything that doesn't have a background image associated with it? Across the board?

You should be able do this with code using triggers, or in the CTC using visibility conditioning.