LaunchBox Community Forums

King's Quest CD, Playing in LaunchBox without a CD

CMSCalvert

Hello Support,

I'm getting the hang of LaunchBox and learning how to import/play all the games I have on my system. While I have run into some issues launching arcade games through MAME, that's not my issue today. I've been loading my old DOS games in, and while I have had success running them through the Dosbox and config in D-Fend Reloaded front-end, I have not had the same luck with Launchbox, particularly with the King's Quest series, and ESPECIALLY those that require a CD for audio/speech. I need help setting that up so that the game does NOT require a CD, and the audio files can be run from a directory set as a drive/CD instead. Like I said, I got it to work in D-Fend, but not LaunchBox. Please help.

Thanks,
Chris Calvert

• 5 weeks later...

What are the steps you have tried so far? Screenshots would definitely help as well.

Personally, I find the easiest way to run this game is through ScummVM. The way I would do it is:

• Extract the contents of the CD into a folder (I'm assuming you have either the physical media or an image of it)
  • In LaunchBox, go to Tools > Import > Manually add a game
  • Click on the ScummVM section and click on "Use ScummVM to play this game" (If you can't do this, click on the Emulation section and uncheck "Use an emulator to play this game")
  • Game Data Folder Path - choose browse and navigate to where you placed your King's Quest 6 files
  • What game is it - in this dropdown choose King's Quest VI
  • Go to the Metadata section and type in King's Quest VI, and click on Search for Metadata, choose the correct entry.
  • Optionally you can go into the Images section and download some images for the game

Press OK and you should be able to run the game.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, faeran said:

What are the steps you have tried so far? Screenshots would definitely help as well.

Personally, I find the easiest way to run this game is through ScummVM. The way I would do it is:

• Extract the contents of the CD into a folder (I'm assuming you have either the physical media or an image of it)
  • In LaunchBox, go to Tools > Import > Manually add a game
  • Click on the ScummVM section and click on "Use ScummVM to play this game" (If you can't do this, click on the Emulation section and uncheck "Use an emulator to play this game")
  • Game Data Folder Path - choose browse and navigate to where you placed your King's Quest 6 files
  • What game is it - in this dropdown choose King's Quest VI
  • Go to the Metadata section and type in King's Quest VI, and click on Search for Metadata, choose the correct entry.
  • Optionally you can go into the Images section and download some images for the game

Press OK and you should be able to run the game.

Thank you. I will try these steps and get back to you. I've been using dosbox to run the dos games, but if I can make exceptions to use Scumm instead (which I believe I only use for Monkey Island games), I'll see what works. I will get back to you when I've done more testing.

True. AGD Interactive, or some other company remade KQ 1-3, which I have. Nobody has fully remade KQ4.

Right now I'm trying to get Monkey Island 1 and 2 to get set up through Launchbox, but even when using the Scumm config, I get a warning about it not launching with the proper directories set up with the ripped music, out of launchbox. I already set up Scumm OUTSIDE of launchbox to run Monkey Island games with the ripped music, but not from launchbox itself. 
Am I missing  config section for the data directory?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 6:08 PM, CMSCalvert said:

True. AGD Interactive, or some other company remade KQ 1-3, which I have. Nobody has fully remade KQ4.

Right now I'm trying to get Monkey Island 1 and 2 to get set up through Launchbox, but even when using the Scumm config, I get a warning about it not launching with the proper directories set up with the ripped music, out of launchbox. I already set up Scumm OUTSIDE of launchbox to run Monkey Island games with the ripped music, but not from launchbox itself. 
Am I missing  config section for the data directory?

There is a "retold" version of KQ4 that is at least point and click.  Being done in AGS it runs better in ScummVM to me.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2533-king-s-quest-iv-the-perils-of-rosella-retold/