LaunchBox Community Forums

Looking for some guidance to custom mapping controls for an arcade using big box as the front end.

sLpFhaWK

Hello there, I've been using Launchbox for a little over a month but i've only ever used it with an xinput xbox controller. I've recently picked up an arcade cabinet and it works with the controller board I have purchased, but it's going to be replaced this week using an Ultimarc Ipac Ultimate IO board. The software used for it is really powerful, and it lets you remap buttons to keystrokes, mouse buttons and even xinput but the tutorial i've watched on it that it works best using keystrokes.

So my question is can you navigate big box using key strokes, for example W,A,S,D for up, left, right, down etc? or can you remap the keys in the software? I honestly haven't looked as I'm working so I'm not able too at the moment but it you can that'll be great, but that leads to my next question.

So if I can configure big box to use WASD to move cardinal directions and my buttons used for ABXYLR when I add an emulator, say retroarch will it auto configure that emulator to my launch box key configs? if so that will be awesome, especially if it works with mame too. If not that config will be long and painful. 

i think that pretty much sums up my questions, so thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully someone with some knowledge can hit me with it!

12 minutes ago, sLpFhaWK said:

Hello there, I've been using Launchbox for a little over a month but i've only ever used it with an xinput xbox controller. I've recently picked up an arcade cabinet and it works with the controller board I have purchased, but it's going to be replaced this week using an Ultimarc Ipac Ultimate IO board. The software used for it is really powerful, and it lets you remap buttons to keystrokes, mouse buttons and even xinput but the tutorial i've watched on it that it works best using keystrokes.

So my question is can you navigate big box using key strokes, for example W,A,S,D for up, left, right, down etc? or can you remap the keys in the software? I honestly haven't looked as I'm working so I'm not able too at the moment but it you can that'll be great, but that leads to my next question.

So if I can configure big box to use WASD to move cardinal directions and my buttons used for ABXYLR when I add an emulator, say retroarch will it auto configure that emulator to my launch box key configs? if so that will be awesome, especially if it works with mame too. If not that config will be long and painful. 

i think that pretty much sums up my questions, so thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully someone with some knowledge can hit me with it!

Bigbox has complete remapping for both controllers and keyboards in the UI.

32 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Bigbox has complete remapping for both controllers and keyboards in the UI.

Thanks Neil, so that does help on 1 part of my post.

the next stuff is does launchbox carry those settings over to an emulator when importing a new system?

2 minutes ago, sLpFhaWK said:

Thanks Neil, so that does help on 1 part of my post.

the next stuff is does launchbox carry those settings over to an emulator when importing a new system?

No, these settings are for Launchbox/Bigbox only, any emulator controls will need to be setup inside of the respective emulators. Launchbox/Bigbox simply launches, we do not touch or even know where to look to change emulator settings like that, and that is by design, each emulator/system is different, and has its own quirks as well as a UI option to set the controls to your specific use case. Mandating controls like that really isnt a good idea as everybody has different opinions, as well as hardware.

14 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

No, these settings are for Launchbox/Bigbox only, any emulator controls will need to be setup inside of the respective emulators. Launchbox/Bigbox simply launches, we do not touch or even know where to look to change emulator settings like that, and that is by design, each emulator/system is different, and has its own quirks as well as a UI option to set the controls to your specific use case. Mandating controls like that really isnt a good idea as everybody has different opinions, as well as hardware.

ok, i figured as much but I still wanted to ask. Thanks Neil!