LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame launches multiple times

oh650r

I'm running launchbox as my front end with Mame 0.241 as my only system installed.  However, if someone selects a game and accidently presses the launch button more than once, Mame will launch multiple times.  Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks

If you are launching games in LaunchBox, there's an option that will minimize LaunchBox upon game launch, and restore it after you exit the emulator.  The options are under General. This could potentially help this issue.

Another thing to note, depending on how you set up MAME in LaunchBox, you could have a Running Script that could be accidentally launching multiple instances of MAME. Check under Tools > Manage > Emulators. Enter into your MAME emulator and check your Running Script. It's essentially a script that will press the space bar 3 times after 10 seconds. But if your computer takes more than 10 seconds to launch a game, and you are waiting in LaunchBox for it to launch, it ends up pressing space 3 times while in LaunchBox, which ends up opening more instances of MAME. If this is the case, you can just delete the entire script.

I may not have worded my problem the best.  Mame isn't auto launching multiple times when I select a game.  The issue is, if accidentally pressing the launch button more than once on a game (which my kids do a lot) multiple instances of Mame launch.

Another topic posted something similar a while back and it seems to fix the problem, but it was a feature in a beta release.  Which may be in a proper release now, I'm not sure.  I'm currently using the freeware ver at the moment.

I guess I should have asked which version of LaunchBox are you running, and are you seeing this happen in LaunchBox or Big Box?

From what I see, I cannot get this to happen in either LaunchBox or Big Box no matter how fast I click.

11 hours ago, oh650r said:

I'm currently using the freeware version (a few months old) and Mame 0.241.

I also tried deleting all lines under autohotkey, no luck.

I see. Yes, I managed to get MAME to launch multiple times in LaunchBox if you quickly press enter really quickly. The thread you referenced mentioned that the solution to this issue would come via the Startup Screens (which it did in 2018), and if you have them enabled, they do stop MAME from opening multiple times. However, startup screens are a premium feature.

• 1 year later...