LaunchBox Community Forums

External hard drive not being recognized

Jarhog

I have been trying to import my games from my external hard drive in Launchbox Android, however every time I try to browse the external hard drive it just refuses to access it. It sits on the select source dialog box (where you can choose between internal storage or external storage).

The phone being used is a Google Pixel 2 (which is not rooted), with the drive being a Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD (Which is in FAT32). I am also using the full version.

I can provide screenshots if it helps.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:36 AM, Jarhog said:

I have been trying to import my games from my external hard drive in Launchbox Android, however every time I try to browse the external hard drive it just refuses to access it. It sits on the select source dialog box (where you can choose between internal storage or external storage).

The phone being used is a Google Pixel 2 (which is not rooted), with the drive being a Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD (Which is in FAT32). I am also using the full version.

I can provide screenshots if it helps.

Most likely there are permissions issues with the drive. It is extremely difficult to troubleshoot these issues without own the device/drive, unfortunately. There is likely a way to configure the drive so that we do have permissions to access it properly, but it's hard to say exactly how without having the device on hand.

Well I have tried using Total commander to see if there if there was any options in setting the drive's permissions. But I couldn't seem to find it.

I have checked Launchbox's permissions and it does have permission to use storage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, Jarhog said:

Well I have tried using Total commander to see if there if there was any options in setting the drive's permissions. But I couldn't seem to find it.

I have checked Launchbox's permissions and it does have permission to use storage.

The only other idea I have would be to use actual Android storage instead of FAT32 (reformat the drive). But I'm not exactly familiar with how to do that on the Pixel 2. Mobile phones aren't always well-suited for external drives, so it could be that it's just not well implemented, I guess. I don't have much experience there, to be honest.

OK, one possibility is that it is the version of Android I have on the Pixel 2 (Version 11), since my brother has tried the same SSD drive on a Nokia android phone which is running Android 9 and the drive shows up on RetroArch.

So I am suspecting the scoped storage feature might be causing the problem.