LaunchBox Community Forums

Launch Big Box when Xbox Series X controller is turned on?

lolDayus

Posted this on reddit yesterday, didn't get any responses so figured it couldn't hurt to post here:

I apologize in advance if I'm overlooking something but this is driving me nuts and I want to make sure it's not something simple: I just want to open Big Box whenever I turn on my Xbox Series X controller.

I use DS4windows to accomplish this with my Dualsense controller (which "translates" the Dualsense as an Xbox 360 controller) perfectly thanks to its "Launch Program with Profile" feature. However, DS4windows doesn't work with actual Xbox controllers so I need another app that does the same thing but for Xbox controllers. I've tried several programs like reWASD and Joyxoff, but nothing will replicate the simple function from DS4windows that automatically launches Big Box as soon as the controller is powered on.

Apparently Launchbox/Big Box used to have a "controller automation" option that I think could accomplish this but for whatever reason this option is no longer in Settings for either program. I saw some AutoHotkey scripts on the Launchbox forums but they did a bunch of other stuff that I don't want; I have large thumbs and am prone to accidentally hitting buttons so I don't want the Guide button/other buttons to just instantly close my game for obvious reasons; I literally just need it to do this one thing and then do nothing until the controller is powered back on again.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to get DS4windows to see/interact with actual Xbox controllers, that would more than likely be an even better solution for me personally as it would cut down on the number of apps/background programs involved

6 minutes ago, lolDayus said:

Apparently Launchbox/Big Box used to have a "controller automation" option that I think could accomplish this but for whatever reason this option is no longer in Settings for either program.

That was simply renamed to mappings, and never did what you are asking here. You can use programs to launch programs with buttons easily enough, but i don't know of any that will start a program when powering a controller on, you would need to power it on, then press another button/button combo to start the program.

Yeah I know, Joyxoff works for that purpose but there's still an extra step of pressing another button as well as it being too "active" during the process; i.e. it has to be running in the background and it still is sensitive to button presses in-game where pressing the same "Launch app with button press" is still active if it's not specifically in fullscreen mode. I know it sounds like I'm being oddly specific/unreasonable with my intended interaction but it's just that DS4windows does it so perfectly that I figured there had to be SOMETHING out there that could do the same for the "fully supported" Xbox controllers as opposed to the "Dualsense masked as an Xbox 360 controller" finagling that DS4windows is essentially based around.