LaunchBox Community Forums

xml files not updating on exit (eg favorites)

adrianv

Launchbox 12.10

When making any changes (eg favoriting a game), and then quiting Launchbox, the XML file is not updating with the new metadata

eg favorite 3 games in Sega Naomi.  Don't see them appear at top under favorites.   Select a different platform and come back to Naomi, and I can see the new favorites at top

Then exit Launchbox and note the time.

I can see the time stamp for the file "..LaunchBox/Data/Platforms/Sega%20Naomi.xml" is updated.  But searching through the xml for <Favorite>true</Favorite> shows that the xml file has in fact NOT been updated.

Getting same failure to save xml data when I add a new platform etc.

Looking at the log file the only unusual entries look like this

FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: R:\LaunchBox\pack:\application:,,,\WpfResources\Background.png
   at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)

2022-05-16 08:14:51 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: A task was canceled.
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
2022-05-16 08:14:51 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: The operation has timed out.
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)

I've tried reinstalling, no change.

8 hours ago, adrianv said:

Launchbox 12.10

When making any changes (eg favoriting a game), and then quiting Launchbox, the XML file is not updating with the new metadata

eg favorite 3 games in Sega Naomi.  Don't see them appear at top under favorites.   Select a different platform and come back to Naomi, and I can see the new favorites at top

Then exit Launchbox and note the time.

I can see the time stamp for the file "..LaunchBox/Data/Platforms/Sega%20Naomi.xml" is updated.  But searching through the xml for <Favorite>true</Favorite> shows that the xml file has in fact NOT been updated.

Getting same failure to save xml data when I add a new platform etc.

Looking at the log file the only unusual entries look like this

FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: R:\LaunchBox\pack:\application:,,,\WpfResources\Background.png
   at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)

2022-05-16 08:14:51 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: The operation has timed out.
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)

I've tried reinstalling, no change.

Have you got any extra files that shouldn't be there in the Launchbox/Data/Platform, or the Launchbox/Data/Playlist folders, things like duplicates of the same platform/playlist, or files marked as backups?

Edited by neil9000

Thanks, that not only fixed the problem, but  improved startup/shutdown times at least 5x.

I'm still having persistent problems with

- favorites don't show up until I go into another category and come back

- media can take > 1 min to show up when I select a game

- the hard drive with the files on it becomes almost completely unresponsive while LB is running (presumably because LB is reading/writing continuously).  When I force quit LB the file system is responsive again.  What causes this? (eg in file system scrolling through a folder literally comes to a stop).

This is on a monster overpowered machine with top of the line current gen components for absolutely everything.  Should not be this slow.  What else should I be looking at to get this to realtime performance again?

Things look great but my raspberry pi is faster 😉