LaunchBox Community Forums

Copying titles in the database.

ChoccyHobNob

Hi, 

This is my first post in these forums so please be gentle if I step on any toes!

Is it possible to copy database items in the games database and add them to another platform? I ask because with the availability of of ScummVM ver 2.2 in 2018 the ability to run Glk api titles was added to the codebase.

What this means in terms normal humans can understand is that ScummVM can now play all the Infocom games, all the Scott Adams Adventures, All the Level 9 adventures, All the Magnetic Scrolls adventures etc. There are many many engines supported by Glk making ScummVM now a single place to play almost all interactive fiction titles from the dawn of the text adventure all the way through to modern point and click titles.  

None of these titles are currently in the ScummVM platform title list but they do appear in other platforms (Zinc for Infocom, all of the original platforms these titles appeared on etc.) so I was wondering if it is possible to find a title and duplicate it, all its metadata, all its artwork and say it's a ScummVM title so it gets found correctly in launchbox?

Yes, you should be able to do that. ScummVM is based on multiple platforms - and if the game is on the database the you can select which platform you would run on ScummVM for the most accurate metadata/images.

First select your ScummVM platform from plaftorm category list and then Just use the "add" button on the bottom right and make a search for the game you want added in your ScummVM list. After getting the metadata and downloading images you can also "disconnect" the launchbox id (red-white cross after the ID, where the search button was before) and update it again if/when someone submits a ScummVM specific entry in the database.

4yqyq.thumb.png.c865d4b0b7a48620077e947230ff902f.png

The other option would be to request someone to add the missing entries (or add it yourself) in the ScummVM database platform: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/platforms/games/143

Edited by kurzih

2 hours ago, kurzih said:

The other option would be to request someone to add the missing entries (or add it yourself) in the ScummVM database platform: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/platforms/games/143

That's what I was asking about. I was hoping it was possible for a dba to duplicate the records and just change the platform id rather than have to manually download everything, set it up locally and submit it as a new game. I thought there might be some option in an admin cp or something that would make it easy. 

I can just do it manually, it's just labor intensive.