LaunchBox Community Forums

3rd Screen box art/clip art at coin door plugin or 3rd party app?

ChickenGeorge

3rd Screen/ box art/clip art at coin door plugin or 3rd party app?  Is there a 3rd party application or plugin in Bigbox that allows for a 3rd screen to show additional artwork?  I've got the dynamic marquee set up.  You do have to rename the emu movies imported marquee files to the same name as clip art.  Small hurdles considering it works out the box to play games :-).

3 hours ago, ChickenGeorge said:

Is there a 3rd party application or plugin in Bigbox that allows for a 3rd screen to show additional artwork?

There's a beta plugin release that can do that.  The original one just does control panels.  But if you read though the threads, there're updated versions that allow for different images.

7 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

There's a beta plugin release that can do that.  The original one just does control panels.  But if you read though the threads, there're updated versions that allow for different images.

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried this? Will it cause any chaos with latest BB? I have a marquee enabled with the existing plugin. Would love additional feature but don’t want to break anything. That why I stopped messing with HS 😊

5 hours ago, ChickenGeorge said:

Have you tried this? Will it cause any chaos with latest BB? I have a marquee enabled with the existing plugin. Would love additional feature but don’t want to break anything.

I kind of had to try it.  That's the only way I could tell if it worked while I was writing the plugin. ;)

The only potential chaos it may cause is if you tell it the wrong monitor # to use.  And even then, nothing will break.  It'll just display the image on the monitor you told it to (vs. the one you wanted).  Worst case scenario:  exit BigBox, go to where you copied the plugin into and delete the plugin and restart BigBox.  It'll be as if nothing ever happened. 

As I'm re-reading your original question, this plugin may not be what you're after.  The plugin only works during game play.  Not when looking through your collection in BB.  Sorry 'bout that.

At this point, there isn't a means to have an image display on a 3rd monitor while perusing your collection in BigBox, that I'm aware of.

Yes that’s correct it’s just a third monitor, a folder it’s being pointed to for specific media. Boxart, clipart, etc. I just got done renaming all my marquee artwork so BB sees it , I THINK that’s just a mame issue. But didn’t want to configure anymore platforms until I fix them all one at time. Have been seeing this kick panel and wanted to see if this is doable. 

Edited by ChickenGeorge

So it looks like I’m wanting to use the folder with flyer art front I believe.  Your plug-in will not match the image while selecting like the marquee changes as you scroll? But it will find the appropriate images to display once the game is actually selected to be played? 

3 hours ago, ChickenGeorge said:

So it looks like I’m wanting to use the folder with flyer art front I believe.

Version 1.1 of the plugin (middle of page 2 in the link above) doesn't have Advertisement Flyer (Front or Back) as an available option.  But if you test it with other image types and you find that the plugin is going to suit your needs, let me know and I'll have my team add that in as an option.

4 hours ago, ChickenGeorge said:

But it will find the appropriate images to display once the game is actually selected to be played? 

No.  It will look for the appropriate image to display only when the game is launched.  (We might be talking semantics here. You can 'select' a game you want to play without actually 'launching' it.)

So say for example when you scroll and select stop on games the marquee also changes in Bigbox. Does your plugin No react in the same fashion? It will then select the appropriate named image from the designated folder when i start or launch a game? Not trying to be difficult i need the communities assistance 😊. I’ve been involved with testing of applications/ sites but not the design. I thank you for all for your efforts 

Edited by ChickenGeorge

2 minutes ago, ChickenGeorge said:

So say for example when you scroll and select stop on games the marquee also changes in Bigbox. Does your plugin No react in the same fashion? It will then select the appropriate named image from the designated folder when i start or launch a game? Not trying to be difficult i need the communities assistance 😊. I’ve been involved with testing of applications/ sites but not the design. I thank you for all for your efforts 

No worries. :)  

The plugin just hangs out in the background doing absolutely nothing.  It sits in its recliner, sipping an endless cup of coffee, reading the newspaper and having not-a-care-in-the-world.  It has no clue as to what you're doing in LaunchBox/BigBox.  Be it scrolling through looking your collection, switching themes, adding new Platforms or downloading media or new themes.

The magic begins only when you click/press Play (and not a moment earlier).  LB/BB sends it a notification that a game is being launched.  The 1st thing it does is gets:

• The primary and secondary image types and monitor # you selected during setup (via an xml file located in the plugins folder)
  • The filepath for those 2 images

It then verifies that the Primary Image file actually exists. If not, it checks for the secondary image to exist.  If neither exist (rare), it heads back to the recliner.  If one or the other does indeed exist, it then verifies that the monitor # selected is valid.

If the monitor # is invalid (rare), back to the recliner.  Otherwise, the image is sent to the corresponding monitor.

Once the game is exited, LB/BB sends another notification stating such.  The plugin then discards its connection to the monitor and the image file. Then back to the recliner awaiting the next Play notification.