LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox being picky about MAME Retroarch cores....

FormulaFox

So, this issue on the surface might appear to be a Retroarch issue, but I assure you that after trying several steps it has become clear that this is a Launchbox issue.

I have recently upgraded to the newest version of Launchbox, and after doing so I began to have problems with MAME games either not launching or not running once launched. Now, in the latter case, I'm 100% sure it's related to the latest update of the current MAME core in Retroarch, but that's not what we're here to figure out(after we get this sorted I'll worry about asking about that in the Libretro Forums). I'm only mentioning it for context to the main issue.

Every single game I have that is giving me errors on the current MAME core is running fine on the MAME 2010 core, so I set a command line entry in the data for those games to launch said core. But when I tell Launch/Bigbox to launch that game, it refuses to launch Retroarch. I've watched the task manager, Retroarch simply never appears. I have set Launchbox itself to launch MAME games with the MAME 2010 core, and it ignores this and tries to launch with the current MAME core.

I know this is a Launchbox issue because the problems only occur when I try to launch games through Launchbox or Bigbox. If I open Retroarch directly the games always load fine, save for the aforementioned issues with the current MAME core.

To summarize: Setting the MAME 2010 core as default is ignored and Launchbox will use the Current MAME core, setting MAME 2010 specifically to individual games results in Launchbox not loading Retroarch at all.

So where is the potential issue and how do I fix it? If you need more info, please ask, I will happily provide. Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided.

Edited by FormulaFox

First, do you have more than one Retroarch set-up in LB? Just wanting to confirm as we have chased issues before only to find out a user had more than one Retroarch and the games were pointing to the wrong one.

I would right click a game and edit it. Then in the Emulation page confirm the game is pointing to Retroarch.

In Manage Emulators if you have the core selected for the Associated Platform LB should remember that when you click "OK" to save the change.

Can you edit your Retroarch and share a pic of the Associated Platforms tab make sure it shows the Arcade platform name in the pic.

It sounds to me like you have a couple of different settings conflicting with each other somewhere in LB.

26 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

First, do you have more than one Retroarch set-up in LB? Just wanting to confirm as we have chased issues before only to find out a user had more than one Retroarch and the games were pointing to the wrong one.

I would right click a game and edit it. Then in the Emulation page confirm the game is pointing to Retroarch.

In Manage Emulators if you have the core selected for the Associated Platform LB should remember that when you click "OK" to save the change.

Can you edit your Retroarch and share a pic of the Associated Platforms tab make sure it shows the Arcade platform name in the pic.

It sounds to me like you have a couple of different settings conflicting with each other somewhere in LB.

Definitely not the issue here - I updated Retroarch about a month ago and it did install to a different place. After I uninstalled the previous RA version I actually wiped and re-imported my MAME library to ensure this wouldn't be a problem, and it wasn't until the new Launchbox version was released that this began.

Nonetheless, in order to cover all bases(you never know what doublechecking a definite non-issue can lead you to, after all!), I have attached the requested screenshot - apologies for quality; Easier to take a photo to upload than do a proper screenshot on the arcade cab.

20220625_164553.jpg

What is the platform name of your Mame roms? I see you have an Associated Platform for "Arcade" and one for "Mame". We ask these simple questions as it is not uncommon for what someone thinks is a non-issue to end up actually being the issue.

Can you share a few more pics so we can see your full set-up and it how it all links?

In the Manage Emulator screen show a pic of the Details page for Retroarch.

Edit an arcade/mame game and share 3 pics (1 of the Metadata page, 1 of the Emulation page, and 1 of the Launching page).

7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What is the platform name of your Mame roms? I see you have an Associated Platform for "Arcade" and one for "Mame". We ask these simple questions as it is not uncommon for what someone thinks is a non-issue to end up actually being the issue.

Can you share a few more pics so we can see your full set-up and it how it all links?

In the Manage Emulator screen show a pic of the Details page for Retroarch.

Edit an arcade/mame game and share 3 pics (1 of the Metadata page, 1 of the Emulation page, and 1 of the Launching page).

I have it set to Arcade - there is no MAME platform section.

When you mean the setup, are you talking about the hardware? Just want to make sure so I don't send you a mess of unnecessary photos.

As for the rest, see attached images. I used Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers due to it being one of the games I am having issues with.

gamelaunch.jpg

gameemulat.jpg

gamemeta.jpg

emulator.jpg

• 9 months later...
55 minutes ago, SanchoX said:

Same problem here, if I launch the game directly from Retroarch, works. But if I double clic the game (in this case Cadillacs and dinosaurs) LB don't do anything.

Make sure you have the correct core selected in your Associated Platform tab in your Retroarch set-up in LB. Also make sure you do not have the option to unzip the rom file checked.