LaunchBox Community Forums

Marquee screen - display resolution requirement?

skizzosjt

My primary display is 4K, 120Hz. The marquee display I used for this testing is 1600x900, 60Hz. Ran into an issue right away with the marquee option. I could "see" the open marquee window by using ALT+TAB, it would appear there in the open windows/apps, but it never populated on my display. So I tried a couple things like downsizing the marquee image since I noticed it was larger than the marquee display's resolution. No luck. Tried swapping primary and marquee display in BB.....it worked. So I swap them back....problem returns. Getting some ideas at this point I try to prove my theory something might be up with resolution. Either my display being too small or the marquee image res too large, already tried one of these so now on to the other. I then switch on VSR, Virtual Super Resolution, on my marquee display to make it use 1920x1080 or a larger resolution. Now the marquee image displays as intended! My display I'm using here is for testing purposes (not going to use this in an arcade build or anything) and is an older monitor I use exclusively as an 2nd screen when needed. It's only 1600x900 native res. I noticed going to any selection under 1920x1080 on the marquee display, the marquee image never would be visible on screen.

Is this a "hard baked" setting in BigBox, a minimum display resolution requirement to use the marquee display option? Or is there someway to alter a setting to allow for it show on a smaller resolution?

Display res should not matter. My test machine uses a 1920 main monitor and a 1600 marquee without issue. It used to have a 4K and still worked fine with the 1600 marquee. Do you have your display positions in the Windows Display settings as Main Window under Marquee window or do you have them set and side-by-side? I know BB has been finicky with positions. So if you have them stacked in the settings try putting them side-by-side.

Do you have scaling different on each monitor or are they the same?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Display res should not matter. My test machine uses a 1920 main monitor and a 1600 marquee without issue. It used to have a 4K and still worked fine with the 1600 marquee. Do you have your display positions in the Windows Display settings as Main Window under Marquee window or do you have them set and side-by-side? I know BB has been finicky with positions. So if you have them stacked in the settings try putting them side-by-side.

Do you have scaling different on each monitor or are they the same?

Thanks for the help here Retro!

I only use 100% scaling. I have the display settings in Windows as side by side since that is how it's setup physically. Sounds like I already got the preferred method based on your advice. Image here for reference. I did try putting the "1" screen on top and bottom of "2", just to see what happens....the marquee screen was not visible on either screen. Same issue occurred as the only way to "see" it was using ALT+TAB, but it never actually rendered on either screen.

image.thumb.png.96f53e22e66c5fdb53abee57ac642e65.png

So as of trying round two on this issue tonight, I am so far unsuccessful in getting the marquee to display on the smaller res monitor by repeating the steps I did last night (increasing it's resolution to 1080p or greater)....this is....weird and frustrating. I'm very methodical troubleshooter, one change at a time, record results sorta thing, so it's especially frustrating to not be able to repeat results I once achieved.

OK just spent another bit of time dicking around here and your comment about "I know BB has been finicky with positions." was the key here! Finicky is an understatement lol. This is going to be long winded, since I want to detail the steps I took and I hope this either helps someone else out and/or convinces the devs to iron out the kinks here because this would drive someone less inclined to troubleshooting to give up in frustration I think!

I kept messing with swapping display 1 and display 2 around in BB with no real luck. Even changing combos of which physical display was my "main" display in Windows. I did get BB to launch on the small screen, and marquee on the 4K screen again....but that's not what I want! I have BB as a toolbar quickstart icon so it's possible to launch it from either of my displays. If I launch BB from my "main" 4K display, this problem would occur with the marquee image window never showing up despite the fact it does exist. I discovered the marquee window would show up on the display if I launched BB from the toolbar quickstart icon located on smaller marquee display! Even more weirdness going on here is is BB would render at the same resolution as the smaller marquee display, so imagine my giant 4K 50" TV having a 1600x900 image rendered perfectly centered both horizontally and vertically upon start up. But all I had to do was hit a button to go into a different screen and BB would suddenly switch to rendering at 4K, looking as intended. Well.....ok.....NOW things look like they are supposed to but this isn't how I'm supposed to get there. This kinda makes sense though because of the fact I launched it from the smaller screen, but the behavior is undesirable. So I had to mess around more. I reset everything in AMD Radeon Settings to defaults thinking maybe I got some conflict going on there...still no luck.

But here is where that comment "I know BB has been finicky with positions." started sinking in more.....I then rearrange the displays so "1" is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE" of "2". 🎉THIS FIXED IT! 🎉Another image for reference. Putting the "1" display, aka the marquee display, in ANY OTHER POSITION RESULTED IN THE PROBLEM! Only putting it on the right hand side fixed it. I've rebooted the PC several times. Been able to recreate the issue, and solve the issue, so I hope this is going to put this problem to rest for good! I would have never tried this because of obvious reasons, my smaller display is on the left hand side....so making Windows move it to right hand side is backwards. Your comment is the only reason I got to this conclusion and resolution, you deserve credit for the assist! edit: To clarify, you were also correct the resolution setting does not matter!  Now with the proper setup I can have the marquee display at any resolution and the marquee image displays as intended!

image.thumb.png.14c70bef00a4b540b2e92777614480fe.png

To anyone who read this, thanks for listening to me think outloud! And thanks to @Retro808 for the hint that lead me to solution.

Edited by skizzosjt
  • Like 1

@skizzosjt Yeah that sums up the "finicky" part quite succinctly. On the 3 cabinets in my house. 2 can run a marquee no matter the location (these 2 are currently #2 over #1 in locations). 1 can only run it side-by-side (I do not think I ever tested in the locations you finally got it to work though). Glad you did end up getting it sorted.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, mrbrightside80 said:

I am having the same issues and adjusting the monitor placement in Windows does not help. It seems if the emulators resolution is below my main monitor (4k) it will not display the marquee during gameplay. Any suggestions?

Sorry man I think I shared about everything I can on this topic in my previous posts. I more or less set this up and haven't touched it since so I don't really have much else for an idea if moving the marquee screen to all 4 sides of the main screen results in problems. To understand where you are in your troubleshooting though, are you saying it does work on emulators that match your main monitor resolution? but not if the emulator outputs at a lower resolution? if so maybe check if the ones that work are using exclusive fullscreen or windowed fullscreen to see if there is any correlation between fullscreen mode used