LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox and Sinden Lightgun Integration (Windows).

Kerplunk

I've been trying to figure this out and I am hoping to get some guidance. I'm not even sure I'm asking in the right place but, Is there a way to integrate the Sindgen Light Gun into Launchbox/BigBox ? Currently, I boot into Big Box, but then have to alt tab out and launch the Sinden Software before tabbing back into Big Box. I'm looking to see if there is an option for all this to be done in the background so that I can boot up directly into Big Box and start up a game.

Thanks,

LaunchBox/BigBox does not have a built-in feature to automatically start another program when it's loaded.

8 hours ago, Kerplunk said:

boot up directly into Big Box

It sounds like you may have your setup open BigBox when you turn the computer.  Presumably you have a shortcut to BigBox.exe in your StartUp folder.  Just add the Sinden Light Gun executable to that folder too.

If you're not booting into BigBox, but rather starting/launching it from within Windows, your easiest option is to create a batch file that will start both executables for you.  Then just use the batch file to run BigBox instead of BigBox.exe.

The batch file may look something like

Start "" "D:\Utilities\Sinden\SindenLightGun.exe"
Start "" "D:\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe"

Change the path and name of executable on line 1 accordingly.  (I don't have one, so I have no idea what the .exe is).  Change the path to LaunchBox as necessary.

• Unusual Gem 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:21 AM, JoeViking245 said:

LaunchBox/BigBox does not have a built-in feature to automatically start another program when it's loaded.

It sounds like you may have your setup open BigBox when you turn the computer.  Presumably you have a shortcut to BigBox.exe in your StartUp folder.  Just add the Sinden Light Gun executable to that folder too.

If you're not booting into BigBox, but rather starting/launching it from within Windows, your easiest option is to create a batch file that will start both executables for you.  Then just use the batch file to run BigBox instead of BigBox.exe.

The batch file may look something like

Start "" "D:\Utilities\Sinden\SindenLightGun.exe"
Start "" "D:\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe"

Change the path and name of executable on line 1 accordingly.  (I don't have one, so I have no idea what the .exe is).  Change the path to LaunchBox as necessary.

Oh I see. It makes sense that I could just get Windows to open it. Thanks for the batch file. I'll give this a try.

Edited by Kerplunk

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, maxforwardspeed said:

Isn't another option to use the windows task scheduler to start the Sinden software on boot?

Absolutely!  I think that may be a little more 'technically' involved for many (setting it up that way), but a viable option none-the-less.  Maybe not really "technical", but more steps to explain and follow. ;) 

34 minutes ago, maxforwardspeed said:

I also thought there was an "additional apps" feature in LB that you could use to start the Sinden exe?

There is, but that's only on a per game basis.  I interpreted the OP as wanting to start the Sinden software at the same time BigBox starts.  Using Additional Apps to load Sinden before starting a game, and then unloading (closing) it after exiting a game does make the most sense.  This would need to be done on a game-by-game basis.

1 hour ago, JoeViking245 said:

Using Additional Apps to load Sinden before starting a game, and then unloading (closing) it after exiting a game does make the most sense.  This would need to be done on a game-by-game basis.

Thanks Joe, just thinking out loud again, but I wonder if you can use the bulk edit mode to select all of the applicable lightgun games (in MAME for example) and use the additional app feature to launch the Sinden software? Haven't tried this yet as I'm currently at work, but if you can bulk edit + add additional apps I think I'll try that...

4 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

You can't, but you can.  The Bulk Edit Wizard doesn't include the Field for "Additional Applications" yet.  But for the time being, there is a plugin that will help you to do that.

Excellent, thanks! But can you use the plugin to open multiple apps? Sindens require 2 separate instances of the software to run for 2 guns.   I'm guessing that's pushing the limits of relying on launchbox to startup. Maybe I need to learn how to create AHKs, lol.

10 minutes ago, maxforwardspeed said:

can you use the plugin to open multiple apps?

No and yes.  The plugin can create Additional Apps, but Additional Apps can only open one program/executable.  Just like any command line.  But you can create multiple "Start Before Main Application" Additional Apps.  Or like you said, you could create 1 AHK script or 1 batch file that will open your 2 required instances and point to them. 

25 minutes ago, maxforwardspeed said:

I'm guessing that's pushing the limits of relying on launchbox to startup.

Limits? What limits? There aren't no stinking limits. lol

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Corpse said:

I'm having a serious issue with my lightguns, more specifically the Sinden borders for my lightguns in RetroArch. When I run shooters such as T2 & RevX, it works fine when I run it directly from RetroArch, but when I run it on LaunchBox via RetroArch, the border will not appear and the border changer button on my guns don't work as well. Any ideas and/or solutions? 

Do you have stuff like "hide all windows that are not exclusive fullscreen" checked? Something like that might be blocking the border from displaying. You could try turning off the startup screens if they are on to make sure they are not part of the issue.

Here is a possible alternative solution. Use a bezel in Retroarch that has the border built into it. These are on Sinden's website. I don't use these types of lightguns, but it just sounds like you need a white border....so it shouldn't matter if it is generated by program A or program B or an image. These things wouldn't exist if they didn't work.  Since we know for fact LB/BB doesn't block bezels from being used in Retroarch (or MAME) this would be a workaround to get your required white border

here is the page I'm talking about. They are for MAME so you would need to setup the bezel in Retroarch manually (they are called "overlays" in Retroarch) or switch over to playing these games on MAME. So it's got a little setup which ever way you went there, doing the overlay in Retroarch would be quicker in my opinion

https://sindenlightgun.miraheze.org/wiki/Sinden_Bezel_Packs