LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox 12.14 with "Old Default" theme running at 800x600, search text box only shows top half of letters

InvaderJim

I'm using BigBox 12.14 with the "Old Default" theme on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  My monitor resolution is 800x600.

When I enter search text only the top half of the letters are displayed.  With the on-screen keyboard the bottom part of some of the letters are cut off (like "y" and "p"), but this isn't as impactful.

In the attached screenshot it's difficult to make out my search term of "kong":

searchTopHalfOfLettersShown.png

• 2 weeks later...

The old default theme was not really made to support resolution sizes this low. The new default design keyboard should better support it (although I haven't tested), so what you could try is make a copy of the Old Default theme folder inside of LaunchBox\Themes. Call the theme whatever you like.

Now in your newly created theme delete the following file:

LaunchBox\Themes\[theme name]\Views\KeyboardView.xaml

Now load up Big Box and switch to your new theme.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, faeran said:

Deleting KeyboardView.xaml worked, thanks!  The Old Default theme running on my arcade cab's 800x600 CRT looks and works great!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, faeran said:

The old default theme was not really made to support resolution sizes this low. The new default design keyboard should better support it (although I haven't tested), so what you could try is make a copy of the Old Default theme folder inside of LaunchBox\Themes. Call the theme whatever you like.

Instead of creating a new theme I just kept using the same "Old Default" theme folder and had deleted KeyboardView.xaml from there.  This worked fine, but when I upgraded from 12.14 to 12.15 KeyboardView.xaml came back so I  had to delete it again.  Is this to be expected every time I upgrade?  If so, would copying "Old Default" to a new folder prevent this from happening?

I also noticed my "Old Default" theme's "Games List View" got changed from "Text List with Details" to "Vertical Wheel 1".  Would creating a new theme folder also help prevent this from being changed

10 hours ago, InvaderJim said:

Instead of creating a new theme I just kept using the same "Old Default" theme folder and had deleted KeyboardView.xaml from there.  This worked fine, but when I upgraded from 12.14 to 12.15 KeyboardView.xaml came back so I  had to delete it again.  Is this to be expected every time I upgrade?  If so, would copying "Old Default" to a new folder prevent this from happening?

I also noticed my "Old Default" theme's "Games List View" got changed from "Text List with Details" to "Vertical Wheel 1".  Would creating a new theme folder also help prevent this from being changed

All themes that are bundled with Big Box are designed to self-heal themselves. If you create a custom theme, by making a copy, you won't run into this issue.

A user also has full control on which views they would like to see. If you go into Options > Views, you can set the default game list you would like to see. You could also create a keyboard or controller mapping to Switch View, and use that to switch views on the fly, while on a games view.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, faeran said:

All themes that are bundled with Big Box are designed to self-heal themselves. If you create a custom theme, by making a copy, you won't run into this issue.

Makes sense.  However, wouldn't it be better for the Old Default theme to self-heal to the default keyboard (instead of self-healing into the broken keyboard)?  That would keep others from running into this issue.

1 hour ago, faeran said:

A user also has full control on which views they would like to see. If you go into Options > Views, you can set the default game list you would like to see. You could also create a keyboard or controller mapping to Switch View, and use that to switch views on the fly, while on a games view.

The "Options > Views" setting doesn't seem to take affect for me (this has always been set to "Text List with Details").  Instead I have to go into "Theme-Specific Options > Old Default > Views" and set this "Games List View" back to "Text List with Details".

Edited by InvaderJim