LaunchBox Community Forums

Xbox One controller ?

dugan26

Hi All -

I dont want to post a thousand questions about controller options for Big Box. I am having a hard time getting my xbox one blue tooth controller to work right.

Works in Big Box fine up down enter etc ...

But when i get into games - i cant start, cant exit cant do much. 

Is there documentation on how this all works? video? 

I also am interested in ... do i need to program each emulator? or can i just use retroarch and program ONCE? 

How do i defalut the games to retro arch? working on one emulator for now super nintendo and it does not give me option for retroarch

11 hours ago, dugan26 said:

But when i get into games - i cant start, cant exit cant do much. 

When you get into games, you cannot start what?

Did you configure a button or some combination of buttons to trigger exiting the emulator? If you did not, it makes sense you cannot exit the emulator/game via the controller

Is there documentation on how this all works? video?

There are youtube channels dedicated to LaunchBox tutorials!  Here's one of them!

https://www.youtube.com/c/UnbrokenSoftwareLLC/videos

I also am interested in ... do i need to program each emulator? or can i just use retroarch and program ONCE? 

How do i defalut the games to retro arch? working on one emulator for now super nintendo and it does not give me option for retroarch

If you need to change from default settings then yes you need to configure each emulator accordingly. Everything still needs to be setup in LaunchBox though. If you cannot select Retoarch as the emulator for SNES system then that suggests you never added Retroarch to your list of emulators in LaunchBox. It sounds like you made the SNES system/platform, but never added an emulator to play games you added to the SNES system/platform

I suggest to get familiar with the tutorials. They will provide details you need on getting yourself setup.

Thanks

Im not sure what i am doing wrong here.

Retroarch is configured as the main emulator. It's my only emulator as i am starting off with just one system. Super Nintendo.

I went to Launch Box and configured the exit buttons on the Select and Start (press together) and that works

I go to big box and configure the same thing (is this necessary?)

In Launchbox when i hit select and enter at the same time, the game closes and i am back to the main menu.

In Big Box Select Enter at the same time just pauses the game.

I am assuming i am just doing something totaly stupid here but cant figure it out for the life of me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2 hours ago, dugan26 said:

I went to Launch Box and configured the exit buttons on the Select and Start (press together) and that works

I go to big box and configure the same thing (is this necessary?

Yes, mappings in LB and BB are separate so you need to map both.

In Launchbox when i hit select and enter at the same time, the game closes and i am back to the main menu.

In Big Box Select Enter at the same time just pauses the game

In BB to exit the game and return to BB you need to map a button to the option for "Close Active Window". Just go into BB settings to the controller mappings and take a look at all the options there. Be sure to map what options you want to use. These are all for moving around in the BB UI. There are some options for mapping buttons while in game to go into the LB or BB Pause Menu (if you choose to use Pause Themes) and then the option for exiting out of a game back into the BB UI. Just map what you need/want and spend some time looking the options over.

Actual in game controls for playing the game are all done in the emulators directly.

In Big Box Select Enter at the same time just pauses the game.

First part of your comment it was select and start lol?! Maybe just a typo mixing up start and enter? However, if you are actually hitting enter on the keyboard, that is the default for the virtual pad in Retroarch for the SNES core's START button. ie you hit ENTER on your keyboard it's like hitting a SNES controller START button, which in 99.99% of cases will pause the game if you were in the middle of playing. This makes sense if I understood you right.

I am assuming i am just doing something totaly stupid here but cant figure it out for the life of me.

Don't get discouraged, you will get it sooner or later. Plenty of help out there through guides and tutorials and this here community!

image.thumb.png.19de5a7e550b35eace2c9ae7d1b037f4.png

This is in Retroarchs controls menu when you have a SNES game running already. Since I have an Xbox One controller connected it also detects that besides the keyboard. The WHITE text are my INPUTS. The GREEN text is the output! The "menu" button (start button) on the Xbox controller, and "enter" on the keyboard both trigger the SNES virtual pad "start" button. That is why if you hit enter it would be pausing the game

edit: also if you did not in fact setup the controller hotkey right the first time around, then the start button on the controller would obviously behave like the start button....as in pausing the game.

Edited by skizzosjt

Ok i thought i was done ...

So ... 

I am able to exit now that you explained the concept of close active window. 

Now i am in Super Nintendo and playing Street fighter.

I like the D pad my son likes the stick 

i programmed both D pad and Stick in launchbox and in bigbox - but doesnt work while playing street fighter.

I think i get this now --- so the reason it doesnt work is because i need to program this in the emulator? I am using Retroarch.

If i am totally off please explain -

If i need to program retroarch to use both stick and dpad how do i do that?

In advance- many thanks

On 9/2/2022 at 9:32 PM, dugan26 said:

Ok i thought i was done ...

So ... 

I am able to exit now that you explained the concept of close active window. 

Now i am in Super Nintendo and playing Street fighter.

I like the D pad my son likes the stick 

i programmed both D pad and Stick in launchbox and in bigbox - but doesnt work while playing street fighter.

I think i get this now --- so the reason it doesnt work is because i need to program this in the emulator? I am using Retroarch.

If i am totally off please explain -

If i need to program retroarch to use both stick and dpad how do i do that?

In advance- many thanks

yes you need to change that in Retroarch. If you want it on the analog stick exclusively or simultaneously with the d-pad, you need to manually configure that in Retroarch's input/controls settings. Be aware you can save input/controller remaps globally, per system/core, per game, or I think even per directory (folder where game is loaded from). Globally would be done from the Main Menu > settings > Input > Port X controls (X being the player/port #)

If you wanted it per system/core, game, directory, those are done once a game is running. Then you do the same thing except from the quick menu. Quick menu is something that comes up with options specific to the system/core running. So in the Quick Menu, scroll down to Controls/Inputs and go to Port X controls and change them accordingly. Make sure to save your changes once finished.

edit: imagine a SNES controller, no analog stick.....that is why Retroarch doesn't automatically map the d-pad to the analog stick of a modern controller. Retroarch does the auto mapping by what makes the most sense, so older consoles that just had d-pads are going to have those buttons default auto mapped to d-pads. so gamers need to manually configure it if they would want to use the analog stick. You will find this is how it works with other retro systems too should you add more of them

I think Retroarch DEFAULTS to saving all changes upon exit....and I hate this. I like to be able to fiddle around, and I'll save when I know everything is all good. Beware if you have it saving changes upon exit since anything you alter whether you meant it or not will be automatically saved when you close the program. Kinda makes it hard troubleshooting and trialing settings with such an option on. I make sure this is set to OFF and save manually whenever I need to make adjustments. I think it's under settings and configuration file.

Edited by skizzosjt