LaunchBox Community Forums

Video gameplay for Windows games?

jackhulk

Hello

I'm already a paid member of Emumovies, however I find that videos for windows games are sparse, particularly for older titles. YouTube is a good source for trailers, but I'd prefer short gameplay videos (all these are long plays on YT), so does anyone know where I can source these please?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 11:49 AM, jackhulk said:

Hello

I'm already a paid member of Emumovies, however I find that videos for windows games are sparse, particularly for older titles. YouTube is a good source for trailers, but I'd prefer short gameplay videos (all these are long plays on YT), so does anyone know where I can source these please?

Thank you

I doubt there is a hidden treasure trove of videos of old Windows games tucked away in the proverbial dark corner of the internet if you cannot find what you're looking for at the usual share spots, particularly Emumovies. If all you want is short and sweet gameplay videos and don't care about doing editing to have a fade in/out to the title screen, that sort of stuff, you can achieve this goal yourself. Your GPU should be capable of capturing the screen as you play. Take a look in your GPU's settings (such as AMD Radeon Settings for AMD or Nvidia Control Panel for Nvidia) and there will be hotkeys to toggle recording the display. So what you would want to do is hit that hotkey when you want to start recording, then hit it again to stop the recording and this new video file gets saved in a default folder designated by that program. Usually in the default Windows folder "Videos"

this is how I make my own, but I have some very basic video editing skills so I go a step further and do make those fade transitions to the title screen that are found on most game video snaps. if you skip any editing the process is super easy....hit a key twice to make your own video

• Like 1

Great idea thank you. For now I've just been downloading and using trailers from YouTube. Wrong forum I know, but is it possible to download/upload single videos on Emumovies? I usually download videos directly via LaunchBox, but would be great to share missing videos I've sourced with community on Emumovies, but I find the website somewhat confusing. It appears it's only possible to download videos in packs. If this is incorrect, can you advise please how I can download and upload single videos on there please?

1 hour ago, jackhulk said:

Great idea thank you. For now I've just been downloading and using trailers from YouTube. Wrong forum I know, but is it possible to download/upload single videos on Emumovies? I usually download videos directly via LaunchBox, but would be great to share missing videos I've sourced with community on Emumovies, but I find the website somewhat confusing. It appears it's only possible to download videos in packs. If this is incorrect, can you advise please how I can download and upload single videos on there please?

I don't have an (paid) account there so anything I've downloaded, if I remember correctly, have also been sets for the entire system/console. I've gotten video snaps from the internet archive too, which depending on how the uploader actually uploaded them, you might be able to find ones where you can pick and choose rather than have to download the entire set. either that or maybe that site always allows you to view the contents of compressed archives like zips and 7z files, but either way, I think that is the only place I've seen such an option, to download a single video instead of all of them.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:30 AM, jackhulk said:

EmuMovies with their paid account gives you access to their FTP server. I've downloaded single videos that way through FileZilla (FTP Client). They also have a downloads forum similar to what is here at the LaunchBox forums for themes and artwork. For EmuMovies, it looks like you can submit your own files here: Submit Media.

Also, if you're not put off by a bit of tinkering, trimming down YT gameplay to something more manageable can be pretty easy with this tool I've been using it for a while to trim the "trailer approved for all audiences" message off of my movie previews. Works pretty well and is pretty straightforward to use. 

Edited by Whatscheizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah sweet, thanks! Will definitely checkout that tool as find that rating screen at the start of most trailers annoying too.

I do have EmuMovies paid account, but wasn't aware I could gain access to the FTP servers directly, so will check this out also, thank you.

PC Windows games library on EmuMovies is lacking big time, yet the trailers do exist on YouTube which you, I and surely many others have downloaded to fill in the gaps, so I'm wondering if users are allowed to upload trailers, instead of just video snaps?

I've been curious about their guidelines as well. I haven't run into anything that says "video must be formatted" followed by any specifics, but this document I came across on their discord seems to lay out an expected "40 seconds of gameplay with 10 seconds of title screen". With the gameplay bit coming first and the title screen second. I know that I haven't run into any other formats for their video media which is why I haven't uploaded my own MS-DOS snaps. (I just let the gameplay demos run and record those).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ObZfWpS6yTd8Nxjh6v847Y_bpxxGZtsuaPmMVV5HOSs/edit

If you have questions about specifics it looks like Discord is the place to ask. https://discord.com/invite/D6KbKZr

Edited by Whatscheizer

23 hours ago, Whatscheizer said:

Also, if you're not put off by a bit of tinkering, trimming down YT gameplay to something more manageable can be pretty easy with this tool I've been using it for a while to trim the "trailer approved for all audiences" message off of my movie previews. Works pretty well and is pretty straightforward to use. 

This tool is great, i've been using AviDemux but it only does MP4, no good for Steam trailers without converting them first. And it's a lot more straightforward.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rlad said:

This tool is great, i've been using AviDemux but it only does MP4, no good for Steam trailers without converting them first. And it's a lot more straightforward.👍

I've run into issues as well with needing to edit something in DaVinci Resolve and that software not playing well with mkv or webm. I came across this page that has some pretty handy commands for re-containerising content from within mkv or webm into MP4. It's pretty neat since it basically works as a direct transfer without any re-encoding so it should be lossless as well. You'll of course need ffmpeg's command line tools. Its a handy trick to have in the arsenal.

• Like 1