LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator for PS1 recomendations

bc320

It has been awhile since I set up lunchbox and retroarch. I wanted to change to the BeetlePSX emulator from the current one I have.

I updated retroarch and launchbox but when I edit retroarch in the emulator management tool, beetlepsx isn't an option for Playstation. 

How can I set this up so launchbox will load retroarch with this core?

I am looking for a good recommendation for a PS1 emulator. I tried retroarch's beetle core, but it won't seem to work with the majority of the files I have in. They are in .bin format. I have ePSXe but the video quality is meh and some of the games are choppy. 

Found that. Can't seem to get it to work at all. That core only seems to work with 1 game file that is .cue.  The others are .bin and that core doesn't seem to like them. On top of that, when I try the one game from Big Box it won't load. The .bin files will only allow a SwanStation core associated with them for playstation.

Edited by bc320

I merged threads since this didn't need a new one.

Yeah, Beetle / Mednafen requires your games to be in cue + bin format or CHD.

Beetle / Mednafen and Swanstation / Duckstation are bother solid and are the best options. Neither is objectively better than the other in any meaningful way though a lot of people are on the Duckstation / Swanstation hype train.

ePSXe is solid and looks the same as the other emulators unless you have some weird video settings going on.

Well as I said, the graphics should look the same in eSPXe, Mednafen and Duckstation unless you have some video settings changed or using shaders.

With 3D games you can up the internal resolution scaling with ePSXe, Duckstation and the Beetle/Mednafen HW core in Retroarch. This will make 3D games look sharper but 2D sprite based games with still look pixelated.