LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Media Performance

DJQuad

Hey all, I'm running Launchbox/Bigbox on an external USB drive and it's expectedly pretty slow. I know most keep their ROMS on an external drive, but I'm specifically asking about the media itself - images and videos. If I move the Launchbox install to an SSD but keep the ROMS AND media on an external drive, will it increase performance in any meaningful way? I wasn't sure if the bottleneck is where Launchbox is or where the media is.

Also, if there's no way to specify a default media location, please consider this a feature request :) I know you can change the paths in Manage > Platforms > Folders afterwards, but before would be nice so the ROM import would put the media elsewhere to begin with.

LaunchBox itself being on an SSD will help because the disk I/O is faster. Most images are loaded from cache when possible so the media doesn't NEED to be on the SSD. That being said though some image types typically AREN'T cached and so those will still be slower. Main one being screenshots. Videos will also take longer to load off of a HDD obviously.

That being said I run most of my LaunchBox builds from a HDD not a SSD and in some circumstances you CAN tell the difference, but most of the time on my computer the difference is fairly negligible. It's never bothered me enough that I'd deal with moving the installs, especially give how large they can get with all the associated media.