LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Importing Full mame sets explanations

Aevans0001

Ok looking for some explanations as to what this screen means.  I came up with this issue when trying to import my games.  I skipped alot of different types of games and somehow came up with 400 more games as i had previously.  However, then i realized I didn't have some of my favorite games.  So i redid it hardly skipping naything, but then my game count was 11,000 more.  Obviously these 11,000 was mainly junk that should have never even been though of being included.  So what i desire is a thoughtful explanation of what type of game is included and see if we can get playlists created for each category. 

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, Aevans0001 said:

Ok looking for some explanations as to what this screen means.  I came up with this issue when trying to import my games.  I skipped alot of different types of games and somehow came up with 400 more games as i had previously.  However, then i realized I didn't have some of my favorite games.  So i redid it hardly skipping naything, but then my game count was 11,000 more.  Obviously these 11,000 was mainly junk that should have never even been though of being included.  So what i desire is a thoughtful explanation of what type of game is included and see if we can get playlists created for each category. 

Untitled.png

The page does seem to be fairly self-explanatory as to what it does. Maybe you can list some of your favorite games so you can understand why they would or wouldn't show up depending on the settings.

Basically, MAME creates an extensive database of categorizing all their games. LaunchBox uses that database and presents you with options to allow you to filter MAME games during import. You can use websites like Arcade Italia to provide you a visualized breakdown of this information on a per-game version basis.

For example, some games require extra CHD files to run, so by checking the Skip games that require a CHD file option, they won't be imported. This includes games like Gauntlet Legends, Street Fighter III, Area 51, CarnEvil, Mace, War Gods... etc.

Some games are marked by MAME as unplayable, even if they can basically be played with bugs and the rare freeze. Those games won't be imported if you leave the check mark to Skip games unplayable in MAME, these include games like Primal Rage, Strider 2, etc...

@faeran ok so my main question is, what dictates "games unplayable in MAME" or "non-arcade games"?  

I ask this because the 10,000 games came because i unchecked unplayable games.  Why are things in this picture considered games?  It should be liste don non-arcade games (unless non-arcade is the other systems) 

Untitled.png

Edited by Aevans0001

19 minutes ago, Aevans0001 said:

@faeran ok so my main question is, what dictates "games unplayable in MAME" or "non-arcade games"?  

I ask this because the 10,000 games came because i unchecked unplayable games.  Why are things in this picture considered games?  It should be liste don non-arcade games (unless non-arcade is the other systems) 

Untitled.png

It's all dictated by MAME itself. They categorize every rom for each version of MAME and LaunchBox uses that info.