LaunchBox Community Forums

Error when launching some emulators

spellcaster

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is another wonderful issue that Android has introduced with Android 13. I'm still working on trying to figure out what changed so that I can get it fixed. I'm not sure if it's a bug with Android 13, or if there's something I can do to fix it.

In the mean time, most platforms should still work great with RetroArch.

This does appear to be an emulator-specific issue that is caused by Android 13. It would be good to know specifically what all emulators are affected. So far, I know that the following emulators are not working on Android 13:

• Skyline
  • N64Plus FZ
  • Snes9x EX+

It's worth noting that, at least in my opinion, the RetroArch cores would be better for N64 and SNES anyways, so hopefully that isn't too big of an issue. Regardless, I'm working to hopefully solve the issues with all of these emulators. Let me know if you run into a similar issue with any other emulator that worked on Android 12 but is no longer working on 13.

So far, my understanding is that the issue is primarily that Android 13 requires all launched activities to be explicitly marked public by the emulator developer, which wasn't previously required. I'm not certain that that is the only issue, but that does appear to be the main issue. I worked hard today to try and get everything fixed before the 1.8 release that I just put out (to fix a few bugs), but unfortunately that didn't happen because I'm not even sure what is and what is not possible at this point, without updating the emulators themselves. Hopefully we can still get a fix in soon, if it ends up being possible, anyways.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2022 at 4:18 AM, Jason Carr said:

It would be good to know specifically what all emulators are affected. So far, I know that the following emulators are not working on Android 13:

• Skyline
  • N64Plus FZ
  • Snes9x EX+

It's worth noting that, at least in my opinion, the RetroArch cores would be better for N64 and SNES anyways, so hopefully that isn't too big of an issue.

Mupen64plus Pro, GBC, PizzaBoy GBA/GBC are also affected - same error

Retroarch for Mupen64 GLES3 fails to save state (crashes) - while the Mupen Pro on android saves state fine. Yes, would have preferred RetroArch (I run the Plus version), however due to the save state crash it does not work for me.

• 3 weeks later...

This has to be addressed individually for every single emulator, unfortunately. All thanks to Google's terrible design decisions (again). We will be attempting to fix any outstanding issues for the next release; however, that's a lot of work, so it will probably be a while yet.

Hey all, I just put out LaunchBox for Android 1.9-beta-1. See here:

It has fixes for Skyline, M64Plus FZ, and M64Plus FZ Pro. Unfortunately though Snes9x EX+, DraStic, GBC.emu, and PizzaBoy all need updates from the emulator developers before we can make them work.

Please let me know if you run into any other emulators that aren't working on Android 13.

15 hours ago, Sargon said:

Thanks for the update.  Any idea whether the emulators mentioned (Snes 9x EX+, DraStic, etc.) are actively working on the necessary updates that will re-enable this integration, or is it possible they might not ever work again?

Unfortunately you would have to ask the emulator developers, as we don't have direct relationships with any of them, really.

• 3 weeks later...