LaunchBox Community Forums

Does the mame full set import wizard preserve default app choice?

Hamburglin

I just spent a bunch of time choosing the English and 4 player versions of games via the edit menu in launch box.

I want to update from 193 roms to 244. If I run the import wizard, will it preserve these settings?

What about dipnswitch settings in mame? I assume those are in the retroarch folder.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:11 PM, Hamburglin said:

I just spent a bunch of time choosing the English and 4 player versions of games via the edit menu in launch box.

I want to update from 193 roms to 244. If I run the import wizard, will it preserve these settings?

What about dipnswitch settings in mame? I assume those are in the retroarch folder.

so my guess is if you imported your first set from v .193, and then import set from v .244, you will likely be forced to use an option to import the new ROM files if they are considered duplicates. Otherwise you need to obviously delete your existing entries to import the new ones. If you didn't delete them, you may need to merge the entries if they import separated (instead of automatically merging, not sure what would happen) or else you may have just doubled the amount of ROMs in the platform.  If they merge then it would by theory be adding a new "version" ROM to the existing entry in LaunchBox. But I don't know if the new ROM file will automatically become the default. You would have to go through again manually setting the new ones to be the default I bet.

My suggestion is it would likely be better to do some manipulation OUTSIDE of LaunchBox. Where ever your ROMs are saved, I'll assume in a folder called something like "MAME ROMS". Move all those ROMs into a different folder, say "v193". Now move the newer v .244 ROMS into the MAME ROMS folder. LaunchBox will know no different that you changed anything since the file names will be identical.  This preserves all your individual ROM file entries and their respective settings in LaunchBox, but it will now be launching the newer ROM file version since you changed out the actual file.

I believe that dip switch settings would be saved in a nvram file for the ROM, which yes is in the Retroarch folder structure if using Retroarch.