LaunchBox Community Forums

Visual Pinball - Immediate "Game Over" screen but alt + tab and game works

Hamburglin

For some reason when I launch visual pinball games it gives me a Game Over screen and a frozen table visual. Sounds are working and all I have to do to get it to work is hit alt+tab to put the visual pinball table back on screen.

I don't want to do this every time however. Anyone know what's going on? I'm using the recommend command line of -minimized -play -exit

Edit: If I de-select "Force exclusive fullscreen mode" in visual pinball video options it works but it gives me a windowed version without up scaling. I need 2560x1440 as my laptop can't handle outputting in 4k (for my tv).

Edited by Hamburglin

18 hours ago, Hamburglin said:

For some reason when I launch visual pinball games it gives me a Game Over screen and a frozen table visual. Sounds are working and all I have to do to get it to work is hit alt+tab to put the visual pinball table back on screen.

I don't want to do this every time however. Anyone know what's going on? I'm using the recommend command line of -minimized -play -exit

Edit: If I de-select "Force exclusive fullscreen mode" in visual pinball video options it works but it gives me a windowed version without up scaling. I need 2560x1440 as my laptop can't handle outputting in 4k (for my tv).

Try this for VPX:

-primary -minimized -play

Also, double check your resolution setting with the TV plugged in and launching VPX. Should work either way in window or exclusive if you have resolution set correctly. 

I normally keep the exit and start screens off for pinball in LB because it adds another layer of complexity to troubleshooting. But if I turn on, set to force exclusive and make sure my resolution matches my screen(s) then works on a two screen setup. 

I suspect some of this may also be due to laptop screen resolution vs your TV in that you said when put in fullscreen window mode it is not upscaling that implies that VPX res setting isn't correct.  VPX should show all resolutions for your monitor that is plugged in and set to primary.  You should double check what options for resolution are showing in VPX.  My guess is that picking up the laptop screen resolutions.  If there are any monitor scaling/changes while starting (i.e., resolution set is different than monitor) then with the LB screens for startup/exit it will be hit or miss if they don't pop up above the main window.  Particularly with VPX when using separate DMDs or B2S backglass you will run into layering issues with LB and the exit/start screens as well (Future Pinball is another).  

Thanks for the tips. I've narrowed the issue down to having true full screen on. Either through the gui options or command line. Non full-screen is stretching correctly now.

Still haven't found out why and I've tried different resolutions and refresh rates. It let's me choose my correct tv resolutions and even 120h at 2560×1440 which is correct for my video card.

I've setup a 10 second autohotkey wait and then alt Tab for now :/

Edited by Hamburglin