LaunchBox Community Forums

"Failed to save retroarch config file" whenrver trying to update settings when launching retroarch from LB

Hamburglin

hmmm ok trying to consider this from a dev point of view....if you have a main config that has setting ABC in it and load up a game that has custom override setting XYZ....now these XYZ settings are loaded......now you save the main config which means it takes all those XYZ custom override settings and overwrites the ABC settings in the main config.....which is surely not what any user would want. you just over wrote your default/global settings with customized ones!.....it's a total guess but that is my thought process on it

The problem is that the overlays are part of the save and override system at all. That's besides how confusing the override system is in the first place for the end user.

Just imagine if they decided to add a message alongside the failure message of "... because you are using a game override". Doesn't seem hard to do. The code is already there to check for the issue. They just need to change the message when it fires.

Edited by Hamburglin

• 4 months later...

So... is there a way to fix this?
Nothing in the configuration saves when I launch Retroarch from Launchbox.
Retroarch loads with an override that prevents saving any configuration.

The workaround is open Retroarch directly, load the Rom, and save any changes. That way the changes remain.

15 minutes ago, MGPz12 said:

So... is there a way to fix this?
Nothing in the configuration saves when I launch Retroarch from Launchbox.
Retroarch loads with an override that prevents saving any configuration.

The workaround is open Retroarch directly, load the Rom, and save any changes. That way the changes remain.

I've never figured out why this happens. I still need to open retroarch separately and save and settings for it in there (retroarch.cfg)

All core and game overrides save fine however.

This issue is not a LB issue but a RA one. I also had this issue and after just a bit of searching I found that a RA config will only save while no game is running. This is to avoid breaking the main config, which used to break peoples installs when they shutdown forcibly or something else random. This happened to me once and it was a very bad week for me redoing all that. That was the fix they chose to use i think, you can still manually edit to cfgs and save them. Or as they suggested to me, you can save a custom cfg while the game is running. This can be done per game, per core, etc. So for those of you that are attempting to edit the control maps (as i was) you just save a per game/core cfg and it will save properly. This is how they intended it to be so the main cfg never gets corrupted anymore. At least this is what I was told, and I've had no issue since. You can save custom mappings, cfgs, and core setting file while a game is running.

Edited by KingSlayer420

I know man I was very confused as I was redoing my setup and all of a sudden it started saying that after I got a newer version. Not real sure when they did that but at least i saved ya some frustration i hope.

I personally dont prefer RA, for many reasons which i wont flesh out as it takes from the OP's topic. But it has the best shaders and per game setups compared to anything else. We are forced to use it if we want certain things, it was hard to swallow for me but in the end...it's what looks best. I will admit it took me ALOT of time to fully figure out how to use it to it's fullest, I fully understand how it can be overwhelming to most people. Glad i saved you a headache, that's why i try to help when i can. The feeling of knowing you helped somebody is always worth my spare time. Game on brother, or should i say, hope your day of making new cfgs is better than it telling you that you can't lol.

Yeah, I use RA simply for its one stop shop for bindings and settings, including the mega bezel reflective shaders.

Setting up the non RA emulators like sega model 2, super model 3 and demul were painful enough. Mame is the only one that "just works" most of the time, especially for light guns and track balls. (To he fair, setting up light guns in RA flycast was difficult due to setting up controllers and bindings the right way and in the right order)

The less reminder info I need in a word document when some obscure shit goes wrong with an emulator, the better.

Edited by Hamburglin

10 minutes ago, Hamburglin said:

Yeah, I use RA simply for its one stop shop for bindings and settings, including the mega bezel reflective shaders.

Setting up the non RA emulators like sega model 2, super model 3 and demul were painful enough. Mame is the only one that "just works" most of the time, especially for light guns and track balls. (To he fair, setting up light guns in RA flycast was difficult due to setting up controllers and bindings the right way and in the right order)

The less reminder info I need in a word document when some obscure shit goes wrong with an emulator, the better.

The trauma from losing a 100+ hr, 1 year old fully customized RA install simply by having a power outage really did a number on me. I still back it ALL up once a week with a few routines, just because I don't trust it. I will say even though i don't like it, that its worked fine since they did that change (knock on wood). I now have all my emus on a 2nd sdd that gets cloned once a week with a routine, just to be for sure for sure lol. I cant do that sh*t again after all those cfgs i made and custom things I added. I'm prolly 200+ hrs deep into my current install by now. I even added custom fonts for each console core, backgrounds, it looks very nice I will say that much. Took alot of effort, but great things only come if you put in all the effort.

Edited by KingSlayer420