LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroachiviements SUBSET - HACKED ROM - DEMO - PROTOTYPE and so on

xevious1974

Dear guys,

I love retroachievements! It was a great integration in our loved LB

I am adding a lot of titles that are missing in our DB and that are what I write in this topic title.

I see that moderator are accepting them but there is a good fight on each title.

And I have only updated for Ps2 now (I have made a mistake on a title and mod have, correctly, rejected it, I'll do it again).

I think I dont need to mark why we need to have these roms in our DB, but I want to do it just to clarify.

First, there is this:

I think that Eta Prime appreciate that on the forum we exchange playlist to facilitate also who have no time to create them.

Second, I have to check if I put all the titles in the playlist, matching with Retroachievements DB and so I have to check the total number and so I need separated entry.

Third, LB cannot filter games with badge or with RA parameter ( yes, it is linked to the second), and I have to add them MANUALLY!!! (I also requested that features but none have voted. Ok. 

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6965/posibillity-to-create-autopopulate

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6929/add-developper-or-publisher-filters

Fourth, if the game titles does not match, LB/BB does not show the RAchievements tab (yes, it works then, but...why I shouldn't use that TAB if I want to use a LB feature?) and not add the badge (that is not official, I know). Yes, I can do it manually...AGAIN!

If I am doing something wrong, please, please, please, help me to ease my work here. I dont like adding hundred titles to a playlist, but if II try to do something I try to do at my best. And I like having a (near) perfect playlist.

What do you think? Help me, Thank you in advance!

Edited by xevious1974

On 1/11/2023 at 4:50 AM, LonestarK said:

Have you tried adding the name as an alternate to the base game rather than creating a duplicate game entry?

Dear @LonestarK,

thank you for your reply.

I think I should reply Yes.
I have some entry that contains more than 1 game, in additional apps and then in alternate name. (like this: 

In that way can work but there is a problem that I am not able to resolve.

For example, I am checking, atm, the psx 1 list that contains 507 titles. I have to add all the games to the playlist and then check if I added all. How I check it? I click on Ps1 RetroA playlist and I check the total number on the bottom. If it is equals...I know it is correct.

You can tell me "Hey, take track on a sheet!" Right

But Retroachievements has fast update and I should take track of all my playlist and then remember what I was adding in one entry...

I think it is easier for all if I have 1entry-1Rom in that playlist. And for the future I can track all in one place only.

Then, there is a little aesthetic problem. I click on Tetris rom (arcade playlist) and it contains 2 roms (tgm2 and tgm2p) . In the Retroachievements tab I can check progress for only 1 rom.

Maybe it is a minor problem, but it is not the RA feature was released for, I suppose.

Keep in mind that I am trying to make something that is userfriendly for all.

Thank you again for your reply!

^_^

I was looking in "my change status" TAB

It is very interesting. Some changes are accepted without problem.

BUT moderator are fighting for:

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Special Edition [Subset - Bonus]    

7 approvals and 7 rejections

I'd like to ask to people that reject this game how they handle what I am asking in this topic.

I think I deserve a reply, I'd like to learn, maybe they have a better solution that I dont know. 

Please, please, please

From the moderator guidelines (Rule 3): A game should only have 1 entry per platform.

Please don't add these kind of entries to the database, they are just duplicates to existing games. You can add them to your local LB/BB, but don't clutter the Games DB with duplicates.

I think in this case the Games DB would need a separate platform entry for Retroachievements, to where these entries could then be added. Then again, if you would like to categorize those games by platform, it would still require manual work from the user to create playlists for each platform.

Edited by Jakatsu

2 hours ago, Jakatsu said:

From the moderator guidelines (Rule 3): A game should only have 1 entry per platform.

Please don't add these kind of entries to the database, they are just duplicates to existing games. You can add them to your local LB/BB, but don't clutter the Games DB with duplicates.

I think in this case the Games DB would need a separate platform entry for Retroachievements, to where these entries could then be added. Then again, if you would like to categorize those games by platform, it would still require manual work from the user to create playlists for each platform.

Thank you for your reply!

So, you are telling me that all the hacked rom we have in our DB (nes-snes-sms-md) should be removed?

Maybe with a retroachievements platofom we should resolve. But which is the difference to add a rom to ps2 or to a retroachievements platform?

"Clutter" is an interesting word. I think I am not cluttering the DB but I am filling it with the needed data for which the RA-feature was born.

and

I am glad you took the moderator guideline Rule 3, but we need to read to the end:

"A game should only have 1 entry per platform.

Multiple Disc games don't get entries per disc. Still 1 entry.

Special Editions only get a unique entry on the Database if the game is significantly different than the already existing entry. I.e. Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition would be two separate entries."

There is more difference between Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 Goty or from a game and his hacked rom?

54 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Thank you for your reply!

So, you are telling me that all the hacked rom we have in our DB (nes-snes-sms-md) should be removed?

Oh I see, you are adding only the subset stuff which requires patching a game plus some demos. Should've read the title more carefully first. Well yeah, those should be fine since they are hacked versions.

Edited by Jakatsu
  • Haha 1

Thank you again for your reply!

I believe that talking about this topic is particularly important and can help reflection on moderation in general

I know that DEMO and Protoype are a sensetive topic. 

Thank you again for your time spent reading and talking.

You can see that you are the only one that replied here, so thank you very much.

^_^

• Like 1

OOOOOHHH

we have the final result:

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Special Edition [Subset - Bonus]

was rejected for 7- 11

Here you can see the reasons:

image.thumb.png.aea0427e2a5afd4373f5a2d7e8c9e479.png

I want to be very clear on that. I am not interested in forcing the DB. I can use a separated entry in my OWN LB and I'll be happy. It is mine collection.

Here I am only giving something to the community, working at my best on a LB features (RA).

A subset rom is an hacked version. STOP. If we dont want hack, remove ALL of them from LB. If you allow them...ALLOW them.

Have I to fight for this stupid debate? I have to loose time producing images, with a logo on it for all?

No thank you. For me this is an hobby, a pleasure. If people cant understand that having more entries allows to enjoy RA, to exchange easily playlists...it is not MY problem.

Changes start from us.

Before adding other entries I'll wait for a reply here, from anyone that reads this

P.S. "Not clear what this is" Ok, I hope you are joking. I have mod about 3000 entries. Very few, you can say. Yes, because for each entries I have tried to research, study and understand. If you dont know what are doing...please,dont do it ^_^ 

I love you all, anyway ^_^

Edited by xevious1974