LaunchBox Community Forums

(Posted in wrong spot) Cruis n USA/World controls no longer work between MAME versions.

2ndWind

I searched this forum and discovered my question was in the wrong spot so deleted it so the mods won't have to:  I wonder if that's why the lack of replies?

Anyways here is my issue regarding controls for Cruis n USA between MAME versions and what I tried to do about it: 

Okay I followed this tutorial which worked for the game (OutRunners) the guy used:  I used my Gamecube Switch controller and am able to play it and got past several checkpoints before crashing into an oil truck that kept getting in my way so this game is a success at least with my GC controller:  I mapped the P1 thru P4 buttons to my XYA and B buttons according to the GC layout it has and the game runs flawless.  I am not sure why it even states there is emulation issues when the game turns on as I didn't see any.  It gives a big warning saying something isn't implanted very well.  

HOWEVER the same control setup isn't registering with Cruis n USA.  When I select the start button the menu goes all the way to the left as soon as you start the game and it goes all the way to the right (bottom) if you barely touch it.   Before you could sort of control it even with a gamepad which I'd do the top selection which starts you from San Francisco.  So therefore something within the Cruis n USA/World internals have changed between MAME versions. It wants a C32 Boot Bin to even start Cruis n Exotica which no such file exists. 

There IS a C31 boot bin file floating around the web but that's not what the problem is for me so is of no help. 

I HAVE gotten Cruis n Exotica to start before on my older Windows 10 PC but the graphics were more messed up such as road artwork vanishing and certain elements flickering,etc which I figured was because my older PC was weaker and was hoping to get it to work on my more powerful PC.       

I can't afford it now but later in the year I could get a regular steering wheel to see if maybe my PXN wheel is the trouble but judging how my controller is responding compared to how it used to respond I am not sure if that's the problem to begin with and it would be a bunch of wasted money for nothing.  Though at least I can play ATS properly.  I think my gas pedals may have died since steering works regardless on Steam games.  I've had the PXN since sometime before Covid that's all I can remember.  We've had fires and ice storms since.  

Edited by 2ndWind

16 minutes ago, 2ndWind said:

It wants a C32 Boot Bin to even start Cruis n Exotica which no such file exists.

Yes it does.

screenshot_178.thumb.jpg.034225bfcd6193d3934d7711f72972f0.jpg

There IS a C31 boot bin file floating around the web but that's not what the problem is for me so is of no help.

This seems to be an ongoing issue with you, you keep downloading random files off the internet instead of downloading a full set that matches the version of Mame you are using.

I HAVE gotten Cruis n Exotica to start before on my older Windows 10 PC but the graphics were more messed up such as road artwork vanishing and certain elements flickering,etc which I figured was because my older PC was weaker and was hoping to get it to work on my more powerful PC.     

This sounds more like a emulation issue, not your PC. Only fix is to wait for the devs to fix it.

When I select the start button the menu goes all the way to the left as soon as you start the game and it goes all the way to the right (bottom) if you barely touch it.

This sounds like you haven't calibrated the wheel in the game in Mame.

Edit:
There is a c31boot.bin file in the crusnusa.zip file.

screenshot_179.thumb.jpg.3b44e5dd025f9ef72827394a6150913c.jpg

Thye aren't random files. Theya re full sets on Archive.org and I put them in the rom section. I just completed a San Francisco Rush race with my GC Switch Controller after doing the proper CHD thing.  The only problem was I couldn't enter my name due to it being a bit twitchy which is how Cruis n USA used to be before whatever changed it:  so it's not my ROM set that's the problem.

For the record I got the only publicly accessible set. link removed

I did calibrate the wheel and it turns out the gas pedal or my USB connection may have died.  I'll try it on my Switch since it's compatible with it and I've played it not too long ago to see if that's the case. 

Any programs to take a screenshot in a game that comes up full screen so I can show my control settings? 

As for Cruisn Exotica I'll have to see what's in the zip file that came with the set.  

Using Snip It here is my Cruis n Exotica zip file:  And here's another Cruis n Exotica one I can't remember which one is OG with the set and the downloaded one.  

Cruisn Zip.PNG

Cruis n Exotica2.PNG