LaunchBox Community Forums

Just launching emulator app from games list

AddyWasTaken

With many of us facing the problem that lots of emulators are not allowing launchbox to start particular games is there a temporary solution to launch just the emulator itself?

It's obviously possible since vanilla version of Citra works this way, and even custom emulators like MelonDS. After specifying custom emulator package I can open custom emulator with no problem. Great stuff! But no matter what combination I put into activity name it always comes back with an error. Is there an option to just launch an emulator from the games list? I think it would be a small workaround that is a bit neater rather than closing launchbox completely and looking for an app in default app drawer

On 3/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, AddyWasTaken said:

With many of us facing the problem that lots of emulators are not allowing launchbox to start particular games is there a temporary solution to launch just the emulator itself?

It's obviously possible since vanilla version of Citra works this way, and even custom emulators like MelonDS. After specifying custom emulator package I can open custom emulator with no problem. Great stuff! But no matter what combination I put into activity name it always comes back with an error. Is there an option to just launch an emulator from the games list? I think it would be a small workaround that is a bit neater rather than closing launchbox completely and looking for an app in default app drawer

Yes, it's always possible to just launch the emulator only, but that is a fairly poor experience. I understand that it's better than a broken experience though. The problem is that we're constantly having to chase changes between emulators and the Android OS to fix the launching mechanisms. Google's poor design decisions have really been a headache for everyone in this regard. So with every new release, there's always a number of emulators that we have to try and fix, and some of them can be fixed, while others can't. All of those emulators have previously worked just fine, and either Google or the emulator developer (most likely Google) broke them. Hopefully we can fix them soon (if it's possible).