LaunchBox Community Forums

Where to Install Launchbox for Optimal Performance: SSD or HDD?

Ryuk210

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to set up Launchbox on my computer, and I'm wondering if it's better to install Launchbox on my SSD and keep the ROMs, images, and videos on my HDD, or if it doesn't matter if I install Launchbox on the HDD as well.

Any advice or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

On 4/18/2023 at 2:33 AM, Ryuk210 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to set up Launchbox on my computer, and I'm wondering if it's better to install Launchbox on my SSD and keep the ROMs, images, and videos on my HDD, or if it doesn't matter if I install Launchbox on the HDD as well.

Any advice or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Personally, I have LaunchBox and Assets (Box Art, Videos, Clear Logo etc) on an 2TB SSD and the ROMS on a HDD.

I used to have the whole lot on a HDD until just recently getting that 2TB SSD and it has made quite a difference in speed.

The speed difference will depend on the number of games imported and the size of the xml files. On top of that you have to take into consideration just how much you value those few seconds of loading time of LB. For me the few extra seconds of load time does not matter at all and because of my smaller library and limited images the responsiveness of LB / BB is still really smooth and snappy but if someone has a large library like 50,000+ games and all the different media types then the SSD speed might be worth more.