LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox randomly freezes completely

Cabirus

On 11/27/2023 at 4:13 PM, drewjbx said:

So I just wanted to chime in... this issue has been plaguing BigBox for a number a users for years at this point as I have seen old threads from here add reddit as far back as 2017.

I have attract mode set to default speeds, switch between platforms on, 10sec time in between movements. I have tried HyperMax, Colorful, and Critical Zone themes. I have deleted all BB image cache and force populated, then defragged the HDD as well. Attract mode works fine for about 30min then it starts to lag a little bit, then gradually gets worse. An hour in it is almost locked up and unresponsive to input but task manager shows BigBox is using the same amount of cpu/ram (no issues with maxing out resources).

So to exit I just press windows key to show the taskbar and close the BB icon and it shuts down just fine (no unresponsive error dialog box). The next step I tried is to remove the video folder, attract mode plays with absolutely no videos. The exact same thing happens... slows down gradually then locks up. I am on the latest build 13.8. I have tried this on 4 different HDD's (seagate and wd clones) so I know it is not a hardware issue. Very disappointing to say the least. So for me it has nothing to do with video playback. At this point I would hope a screensaver option can be added with user defined videos (Batocera does this)

This way we can at least just play some pre-set gaming/arcade videos because Attract mode is broken for me, and it seems, quite a few other people. 

Come join the fun! Here's a thread with more users having this same problem and there's no solution. Scroll up a few posts where I linked a thread dating back to 2019 where users are having the same issue: