LaunchBox Community Forums

Just Starting Out With The Android Version. Some Advice?

Muzikarcade

Good Day All,

I just received my AYN Odin Pro in the mail the other day. Seems to be a pretty solid device and looking forward to setting it up. I am a longtime user of the Launchbox for Windows and built an arcade cab around it (which BTW Launchbox / BIGBox is awesome on it). I really have enjoyed working with Launchbox and BigBox for several years. I think I have watched every single video that ETA prime has been involved with. VERY helpful. The obvious choice for the front end on Android for me is again Launchbox / BigBox.

Im planning on using Retroarch on the backend, or should I say Retroarch Plus for the emulators. I will more than likely use standalone versions of Dolphin, PS2 and Citra emulators...  

So I have a few questions and could use some advice on the setup:

1. Is Launchbox for android an apk r is it available in the store?

2. Same structure as my Windows machine? All emulators installed inside my Launchbox directory on my device?

3. I want to install my games on my 512 micro SD card, correct?

4. What is the best MAME emulator for android? I am running 244 on my Windows setup.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give and looking forward to setting up the Android version of Launchbox / Bigbox on my new hand held.

MA

1) APK available via our website (much like the PC app)
2) Not typically. Android has it's own structure for how/where app's are installed typically
3) I find external storage the easiest on my Odin Pro, but it isn't required
4) MAME core for RetroArch is what I use (and is default in the app)

11 hours ago, C-Beats said:

1) APK available via our website (much like the PC app)
2) Not typically. Android has it's own structure for how/where app's are installed typically
3) I find external storage the easiest on my Odin Pro, but it isn't required
4) MAME core for RetroArch is what I use (and is default in the app)

Thanks so much for getting back to me.
1 & 2 I have figured out, although when I go to set up Launchbox, and update or change the themes, I get an error stating there was a problem with the download / update. Is this on your end or mine? Cant seem to figure it out.

3. Yes, I placed all my games on the exsternal SD Card

4. Mame Im a bit confused with, and perhaps you can help me. Im using a rom set from Mame 244. On my Desktop I did download and install the proper MAME version (from the official site) and everything works fine in my arcade cab. Im a bit stumped by what core to use in retroarch for roms from version 244 of Mame. Would you happen to know? And do I need to do anything further once I know the correct core in Retroarch, but to point to the directory where the mame roms are through Launchbox?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

MA

• 3 months later...

For the love of all things good I can’t get Mame working on my Odin Pro.

• side-loaded Retroarch 64
  • full 0.258 merged romset
  • tried all Mame cores 

Do I need to scan/import the romset into Retroarch first or can I just import into Launchbox and associate the emulator and core?

I had another romset that I scanned into Retroarch. Some games would work in Retroarch but when I tried to launch from Launchbox I’d just get a blank screen. 

Okay, have Mame2003 Plus Romset now, and it looks like this set is the best so far. Still having the issue with roms working in Retroarch but either not working in Launchbox or not importing at all. For example Ms Pac-Man/Frogger/Defender are deffo working in RA but not even listed in LB.