LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues with Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5026513)

TalonVI

Hello Everyone,

TLDR the Windows update in the subject caused multiple issues for me within Launchbox ver. 13.5 on Windows 10 Pro.

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post because I solved my issue but wanted to post about it for everyone's awareness. I was experiencing crashes when trying to access "Options" within Launchbox. I was also experiencing games taking a very long time to launch which I'm not use to considering I have an nvme drive. After looking at debug logs which showed nothing useful due to a hard crash, I opted to do a clean reinstall. Once I had a clean install with absolutely nothing in it I opened Launchbox and went to options. It still crashed. I have another pc with the same exact files and they launched fine. I even tried copying files from the working computer to my main PC and it still wouldn't work. After that I determined it had to be something specific to my pc. I messed with my video drivers with no success and then determined the only other thing that could have changed on here since Launchbox last worked was a single Windows update that installed on 6/2/2023. The update that was installed is in the subject. After uninstalling that update I was able to get into options and my games launched quickly again. I haven't looked into exactly what is in that update but I will shortly. I just wanted to hop on here real quick in the hopes this will save someone else some time and headaches and also notify the devs of a potential conflict with that update.

Windows keeps applying the update. I've since updated to Windows 11. Rather than attempt to keep removing that update I opted to reload .net framework components and also attempt to repair it using Microsoft's repair tool. Nothing seems to help besides removing that update. So strange because Launchbox seems to be the only app negatively affected.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh Windows just keeps applying this update. It does also appear to slow down the launch of other games too. I've tried repairing .net, uninstalling it and reinstalling it. My PC just seems to really hate this .net update. Can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this.

15 minutes ago, TalonVI said:

I did find the following error in event viewer. I confirmed that file does not exist.
image.thumb.jpeg.33396933ff0cf82672596f5d38b74e78.jpeg

I also have this error in event viewer on 13.5, I am pretty sure its a generic .net error, but again I am not for sure about that. I know it didn't do that few versions back and it will likely be fixed in the next few updates. I do know that my LB works as it always has regardless of that error, and same for that windows update. Looks like it was installed some weeks back for me and I never noticed launchbox act any different. Not saying that means it's not for you, just trying to chime in so you can figure it out. Not saying that updates won't mess things up, but it's usually something else thats causing the issue. You see anything else weird the the event viewer aside from those errors?

Edited by KingSlayer420

That's a file that just lists dependencies for the application in a way other programs can read and shouldn't impact the application itself at all. I have jotted down not to remove it in future releases. You can update to the beta to see if you notice any difference as that file should be in that installer.

Thanks I may try the beta. I think I have it sorted but I'm keeping an eye on it. I have the .net update loaded and launchbox and other apps are functioning properly again. I think I narrowed it down to my 8bitdo Ultimate Wireless Controller 2.4ghz. I plugged my wired controller back in and rebooted and everything was fine. I hooked the wireless controller back in and had problems again. Thing is the controller would work fine once games finally loaded they just took longer to load and/or froze on startup sometimes. Launchbox became my easiest test because I knew if there was an issue Launchbox would freeze when going to options. I updated my firmware on the controller once again to the same version that was on it already. Everything seems to be maintaining so that may have fixed it. It may also just be hit or miss when I reboot my PC and the dotnet update was just a red herring. The reboots when loading and unloading the update was possibly what was causing the issue to appear and disappear.

@KingSlayer420 I appreciate you chiming in. Any feedback is appreciated. Since the issue came and went with uninstalling and reinstalling that update I just assumed my .net was getting corrupted but nothing seemed to resolve it. I didn't see anything else in event viewer of note so it had me pretty baffled. Hopefully it was just my controller and I can be done with this madness. So far everything is functioning properly and hopefully it stays that way.

Thank you both.

Edited by TalonVI

48 minutes ago, TalonVI said:

Thanks I may try the beta. I think I have it sorted but I'm keeping an eye on it. I have the .net update loaded and launchbox and other apps are functioning properly again. I think I narrowed it down to my 8bitdo Ultimate Wireless Controller 2.4ghz. I plugged my wired controller back in and rebooted and everything was fine. I hooked the wireless controller back in and had problems again. Thing is the controller would work fine once games finally loaded they just took longer to load and/or froze on startup sometimes. Launchbox became my easiest test because I knew if there was an issue Launchbox would freeze when going to options. I updated my firmware on the controller once again to the same version that was on it already. Everything seems to be maintaining so that may have fixed it. It may also just be hit or miss when I reboot my PC and the dotnet update was just a red herring. The reboots when loading and unloading the update was possibly what was causing the issue to appear and disappear.

@KingSlayer420 I appreciate you chiming in. Any feedback is appreciated. Since the issue came and went with uninstalling and reinstalling that update I just assumed my .net was getting corrupted but nothing seemed to resolve it. I didn't see anything else in event viewer of note so it had me pretty baffled. Hopefully it was just my controller and I can be done with this madness. So far everything is functioning properly and hopefully it stays that way.

Thank you both.

Glad you got it all worked out. Your explanation makes sense to me, I've had a few issues with controllers myself over the years. Seems like that very well could have been the issue if it's acting normal now, hope it stays that way so you can get back to gaming. Troubleshooting is no fun