LaunchBox Community Forums

Filter out "devices" on MAME full set import

Zaphod54

The basic question - is there a good way to filter out "devices" with a MAME import?  I mean things like the base hardware devices like DACs, PPU, network interfaces, sound and video devices, etc.?  I'm surprised there isn't a "Skip Devices" option in that filter screen.  Or are Devices part of one of the other categories that can be skipped?

Admittedly I did not select all of the Skip categories during the import.  My plan is instead look at the playlists for some of the categories (looks like that's covered in the Genre list) and decide if I want them or not, then either just hide them or maybe delete them again.

But I definitely don't want all those "devices".

Ok, thank you!  What exactly does that filter on?  Does it include the MAME "Status" of a game, filtering out "preliminary" games too?

I didn't select that only because I've seen a few games that I play in MAME where I get the red "this game doesn't work" warning from MAME, but the game is playable, and I didn't want those excluded.  I can't remember which ones off hand though.

I can't say for certain if it filters on emulation status or not, but [to me] it'd make sense to include "not Working" as Unplayable.  But since you didn't select that filter, switch Views to Genre and scroll down to "System / Device" and remove those.  There may also be a "System / BIOS" genre.  If when removing those from LaunchBox, you're given the option to delete the ROMs also, don't.

I did confirm that for my purposes, I DON'T want to exclude unplayable games.  I'm still setting things up so just to see how it worked, I deleted all my games and reran the MAME importer with that skip unplayable games and it does indeed exclude not working games.

The other reason I don't want to exclude unplayable games is back to this earlier question of mine about using a Platform vs. a Playlist.  My plan for Naomi, Model 2, etc. is to let those games import with MAME, then use a Playlist to pull these Sega games out, then just mass-change the emulator on them to Flycast, Model 2 emulator, whatever, as appropriate.  I don't want these separated out into a separate "platform", I want to keep them under Arcade platform even though they are using a different emulator.

Edited by Zaphod54
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

The only way that I found to remove all devices but no not working games, is by importing all not working games (leave unchecked option skip not working games) , and once imported go to, arrange by: "genre" and delete all games withing genre group "system/device/" adn games without genre, by doing that I got 5400 (games), including working games and games tagged as not working such as (virtua cop2,3, the grid etc..) 

Edited by Drodrick