LaunchBox Community Forums

Transfering media folders to fresh install

legendkillajay

I'm currently setting up a fresh install of launchbox but figured to save time I'd copy the images and videos folder from my previous setup. The issue is when I import my ROMs and it scrapes for media it seems to download a whole bunch of new files. Is launchbox ignoring what is already there ? Have I just created an headache by copying my old folders and am I wasting disk space ? 

1 minute ago, legendkillajay said:

I'm currently setting up a fresh install of launchbox but figured to save time I'd copy the images and videos folder from my previous setup. The issue is when I import my ROMs and it scrapes for media it seems to download a whole bunch of new files. Is launchbox ignoring what is already there ? Have I just created an headache by copying my old folders and am I wasting disk space ? 

If you dont want Launchbox to download any media at import then you need to uncheck all the media options in the import wizard.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

If you dont want Launchbox to download any media at import then you need to uncheck all the media options in the import wizard.

Will it use my current images and videos if I do that ? I thought it would scan the folder anyway and only download any missing files no ? 

Edited by legendkillajay

50 minutes ago, legendkillajay said:

Will it use my current images and videos if I do that ? I thought it would scan the folder anyway and only download any missing files no ? 

yes, images just need to follow the expected file name pattern and be in the proper assigned location. you could import all games with zero media being downloaded then transfer all of your images/videos to the proper folder location and they will be linked. you could put all the images/videos into the proper folder location prior to importing the games also. 

it will download whatever image categories and qty of them that you selected. it is possible to end up with multiple copies of the same image

check out this thread for good info on how media works