LaunchBox Community Forums

Visual C++ 2015 setup "overlap" issue. OLD issue that still exists and should be skippable.

NLS

Latest setup requires VC++2015 runtime. This is fine.
But the setup requires a very specific version (probably for no reason).
Problem is we cannot just remove newer runtimes (that other software may require) to install older.
It should be skippable in the setup (yes at the risk of the user) - like many other setup programs allow.

To be more specific, LB requires VC++2k15 that is in "Visual C++ 2015-2019 14.29.30139", when I already have "Visual C++ 2015-2022 14.36.32532" (the latest AFAIK)...

Please fix this as it is an issue that happens to people for years (!) with LB and as I said you cannot request people to remove newer versions to install older (and then maybe re-install newer - all the time)...

Typically this is because a registry entry is set incorrectly on your system and so Windows doesn't accurately determine your need for it. I'd first try running the following in command prompt as administrator "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and let that run and restart your computer after. If that doesn't work typically using Add/Remove programs to remove the runtimes and then manually installing them in order corrects the issue.

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Typically this is because a registry entry is set incorrectly on your system and so Windows doesn't accurately determine your need for it. I'd first try running the following in command prompt as administrator "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and let that run and restart your computer after. If that doesn't work typically using Add/Remove programs to remove the runtimes and then manually installing them in order corrects the issue.

My system is ok and Windows does know the correct runtimes it already has installed - thus trying to run install the latest results in asking to "re-install" not install from scratch and trying to install the old (the one that LB requests) fails because there are newer runtimes installed.

The problem is that LB installer stops after that, where it should proceed (i.e. be a warning not a fail).

But anyway, since I cannot get around it, I will remove the new runtime version, let new LB install and reinstall the new version.