LaunchBox Community Forums

Error when I move my SD Card with Launchbox to another Windows PC

CertainSB

I installed Launchbox portable to an SD card on my Windows 10 laptop. I got everything setup. Everything is working just fine. I then take that SD card and move it to my ROG Ally that is running Windows 11. Now I get an error that says

A directory could not be created

G:\Launchbox\images\Windows\Front

Then it goes on to say to make sure I have permissions. The thing is, I'm admin on this device. I even tried launching as administrator and got the same error. And the drive letter it's mentioning G:, is not even the drive letter of the SD card in the file explorer.

Any ideas what this is?

I cannot help with what is causing this but do want to point out that end folder does not look like any folder LB would create. In the Launchbox images there is no \Front image folder. Was that just a typo?

If you plug the drive back into pc does that folder actually exist at that path?

Did you make this LB build yourself or was this one of the premade builds users can download?

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

OK well that is odd as the folder structure I have never seen and currently does not exist in any LB build. 

What images are in that folder? 

Try removing that folder and seeing if the drive works when put back in the ROG. 

So I went another route. I went in the disk management section in Windows 11 and changed the drive letter to G:.   That seemed to have fixed the issue. It's no longer booting with that error. I'll do a bit more testing and see what happens.

I did ask earlier what was in the folder and you did not respond so I cannot really guess why it is there. 

I would just delete that folder. Hard to tell if it is an issue, but that was the only folder and path you referenced. Do you see that \Front folder in any other platform's images folder?

So there are 2 \Front folders in there now. I think one was created after I changed the drive letter. One is empty, but the other isn't. The one with something in it has Steam info in there. When I first started Launchbox on the original PC, I noticed that before I added any roms, LB was already populated with the Steam games I had installed on my computer. So my theory is, when I moved the SD card to the PC that had Steam on it, but not those particular games, something went a little wonky. Changing the drive letter fixed it and I believe that's why the second \Front folder was created.

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth, I import Steam games and do not have any "Front" folder. I'm still on 13.5 though. so maybe something new in 13.6? hmmm......going to update now and find out for sure!

nope, no cigar. I still have no "Front" folder in Windows platform, or any platform at that. Tried removing and reimporting a game and downloading media again to see if that would do the trick, no new folders generated though. I think that Front folder business sounds funny even if no problem is currently presenting itself

2 hours ago, CertainSB said:

When I first started Launchbox on the original PC, I noticed that before I added any roms, LB was already populated with the Steam games I had installed on my computer

This is a new feature that was just rolled out on this version, 13.6. It can be found in Options > General > Automated Imports

Otherwise the traditional way required the user to enter in their Steam custom URL and password in order to link their Steam account into LB in Options > Integrations > Steam

So now I would wonder if the Front folder existing has anything to do with this automatic imports option being enabled?

OK just tried that, no new folder created anywhere.

• Like 1