LaunchBox Community Forums

Configuring LaunchBox to utliize PCSX2 resume save states?

PlatRunX

Hey everyone.

Has anyone gotten nightly PCSX2's resume save states to boot from Launchbox like with Duckstation?

Resume states only seem accessible in PCSX2 from opening a game from the emulator's gui and not through LB on my end, which just cold boots the game.

-state <index>: Loads specified save state by index.
 -statefile <filename>: Loads state from the specified filename.

I've tried adding both of these commands pointing to the specific state file (though I'm not sure what <index> is referring to as I haven't seen any documentation from PCSX2 explaining it), but I've tried putting the filepath to the specific state with both in various combinations, but it just returns an error and fails to boot the game. And resume states don't seem to use the F3 hotkey save slots.

Any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.90bf057dbdaae91a712b4cc7891d23fc.png

hi @PlatRunX and welcome to the forum!

I've never used these before but am familiar with the emulator. After giving them a quick test drive I can confirm they work fine. So I would have to think you are not using proper syntax.

Index in this context is a common way to differentiate between iterations of something. PCSX2 offers 10 save states. So index will direct which specific save state to load. For ex "-state 1" will load save state #1

Are you loading the game with the same command line? You need to tell the emulator to run, what game to open, and then any optional parameters. In this case you want to load a save state. We can also include other common parameters like the -nogui and -fullscreen if that is desired

Here are two examples I used and worked fine.

This one is for the save states, you use the "-state <index>" syntax

pcsx2-qtx64-avx2.exe "D:\Arcade\ROMS\Sony Playstation 2\Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex (USA) (v1.01).chd" -state 1

This one is for the resume save states, you need to use the "-statefile <filename>" syntax because these do not get designated a specific "slot #" so we must specify the file name as is requested

pcsx2-qtx64-avx2.exe "D:\Arcade\ROMS\Sony Playstation 2\Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex (USA) (v1.01).chd" -statefile "D:\Arcade\Emulators\PCSX2\v1.7.4107\sstates\SLUS-20238 (103B5706).resume.p2s"

Alternatively you could even use the statefile parameter to load up the save states that are in a numbered slot, but as you can see that would take having the full path to the file so it's not as convenient as just being able to specify the save state slot # instead. For giggles, here is an example of that

pcsx2-qtx64-avx2.exe "D:\Arcade\ROMS\Sony Playstation 2\Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex (USA) (v1.01).chd" -statefile "D:\Arcade\Emulators\PCSX2\v1.7.4107\sstates\SLUS-20238 (103B5706).01.p2s

To keep stuff like the no GUI and fullscreen parameter in use, add those to the end of the command, for ex

pcsx2-qtx64-avx2.exe "D:\Arcade\ROMS\Sony Playstation 2\Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex (USA) (v1.01).chd" -state 1 -nogui -fullscreen

pcsx2-qtx64-avx2.exe "D:\Arcade\ROMS\Sony Playstation 2\Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex (USA) (v1.01).chd" -statefile "D:\Arcade\Emulators\PCSX2\v1.7.4107\sstates\SLUS-20238 (103B5706).resume.p2s" -nogui -fullscreen

pcsx2-qtx64-avx2.exe "D:\Arcade\ROMS\Sony Playstation 2\Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex (USA) (v1.01).chd" -statefile "D:\Arcade\Emulators\PCSX2\v1.7.4107\sstates\SLUS-20238 (103B5706).01.p2s -nogui -fullscreen

Edited by skizzosjt
copy/paste typo
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @skizzosjt so much for the clear explanations!

I got it working now using the following custom line based on your examples. Something about my original syntax was clearly off.

image.thumb.png.58d9ec02ababaa120a54e22ab2e6d71b.png

I hope PCSX2 eventually incorporates it automatically like Duckstation or Retroarch, but the per-game basis will work for the interm.

Hopefully other people will find our post helpful when it comes to googling this particular topic.

Edited by PlatRunX
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

• 4 months later...