LaunchBox Community Forums

Manage Plateforms Mistake

starfiretbt
Go to solution Solved by skizzosjt,

My "Manage Platforms" is setup weird and I don't know how I did it or how to undo it. Under "Manage Platforms" I get a list of what platforms I have games in launchbox such as windows, arcade, Nintendo Entertainment System, etc; and I have a list of what folders correspond to the games to those platforms for example dos games are "Games/MS-DOS." However my Playstation 1 games instead of the folder being the folder with my playstation games its the folder of a specific game. Windows games are the same, it's a specific game folder instead of the folder with all windows games.

So far I don't see anything wrong happening in Launchbox but I am worried this might complicate things later on. How do I fix it? I think the option is to edit the platform, go to folders, change folder path but I'm worried I might screw it up if I try anything. I was hoping someone would tell me if that will work or if I would make it worse.

Untitled.png

• Solution
23 minutes ago, starfiretbt said:

However my Playstation 1 games instead of the folder being the folder with my playstation games its the folder of a specific game. Windows games are the same, it's a specific game folder instead of the folder with all windows games.

LB will change the game directory for a platform to the last used directory during an import.....this is GREAT when you have a system/platform than can have all files in a single folder.

But for ones that have a folder structure to it, such as individual games going into individual folders, it's going to list it like you described. It's doing the same thing, changing the path to the directory that was used during import.

This is BEYOND annoying to me because I have a couple platforms that use files on a separate disk. So if I accidentally try to edit these platforms when the disk isn't connected LB just crashes with an error it couldn't write to the folder that is designated as the game directory

I have movies, TV shows, and lots of Windows based games on disks that are not on the same disk as my LB/BB install. So after I got everything imported I changed them manually to a relative path so it wouldn't give me that error again. Though if I were to add anything new to them it would end up changing to that directory that was used during import....then I gotta manually edit again.

image.thumb.png.b4f75b2a1eb25533755e69c76f80c41f.png

Just showing this so you know where those link up. It's the game directory

image.thumb.png.e13c60edb14b7d3a2c1efd81e6c4daf3.png

So to answer your question specifically....there is nothing to worry about. You're situation is fine as far as I can tell because it appears everything you have is on same disk, so can always use relative paths. Mine issue is a little more unique and I don't think is same as your issue. But wanted to explain that it could lead to problems if you have stuff on separate disks and they are not always connected.

OK, thank you guys. When I import games I usually put them where I want them to be and select "use files where they are" as opposed to "copy files to directory". Your right I do keep my games in folders because they usually have lots of files and sub folders.

This issue is solved.