LaunchBox Community Forums

DirectX confusion using Launchbox on external Hard drive

jrasicmark

A while ago, I followed instructions on how to make Launchbox portable and install and run it on an external hard drive. The instructions included how to include everything Launchbox needs to run, which I think included DirectX. This was from a laptop that was running Windows 7.

Since then, I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 (though I still have the old laptop as well), and I tried connecting my Launchbox external drive to it and starting it up. But I got a message that it needs DirectX. So I downloaded a newer version of it, but it won't let me install it to the external drive; it only lets me try to install it on the C drive of the laptop (but there isn't enough room).

I tried to Google what to do, and I haven't found any clear answers, but I did find something that said DirectX is now included in Windows 10. So maybe that's why it doesn't want to allow me to install it on another drive?

I just tried downloading the latest version of Launchbox to try to install that on the external drive and see if that works.

But if it doesn't, any ideas on how I can get this working again?

Did you fix your problem ? I had the same issue this week and decided to run the installer again on my external drive so I can see what could be the dependencies, and these are:
- DirectX
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime
- .NET Core 3.1

If you carry these installs on your external drive for future "move to another machine", these need to be installed on the machine to launch Launchbox properly.
At least for me, it did the trick.

• Like 1