LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding a game to Favourites

Dr_Wolfman

43 minutes ago, KRI$85 said:

Yes this is platform categories.
This photo shows the image after entering the Wii platform after adding Favorites to the Console, Nintendo Wii wheels, when I remove my Favorites, Favorites, whatever you call it from this wheel, the list of games is displayed normally hmm

hmm.. Indeed. lol  Any chance all your Wii games are marked as favorite?

I assume when you select/enter into one of the Favorites on the wheel (they're all the same, just repeating) that the list of games is displayed normally.?.

15 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

hmm.. Indeed. lol  Any chance all your Wii games are marked as favorite?

I assume when you select/enter into one of the Favorites on the wheel (they're all the same, just repeating) that the list of games is displayed normally.?.

There is no way there are 65 favorite Wii games

If I go to the Wii wheel, it looks like in the picture, i.e. Favorites, and I can enter it normally and then there are my favorites, i.e. 65 games, but the rest of the games, as you can see, are not there.

I tried to do it 
the same on another gamecube wheel and the same problem.

As I mentioned earlier, the only option where everything works is to do Auto generate child, select All Games (otherwise there is the same problem oO) and playlists, but then, as you probably know, the games are even more buried, so-called under the All Game list from that platform and Favorites, and I guess that's it I'm left ;(

I also don't want to take up more of your time and you spent so much time on it💪

10 hours ago, KRI$85 said:

If I go to the Wii wheel, it looks like in the picture, i.e. Favorites, and I can enter it normally and then there are my favorites, i.e. 65 games, but the rest of the games, as you can see, are not there.

I did some playing around this morning and came to the conclusion that what you are seeing in BigBox is working by design.

Unlike LaunchBox, when in View Platform Categories, only the main categories and their subsets get shown.  (Similar to [exactly as?] shown in the Parents tab when editing the playlist)

So in BigBox, on your 1st Categories screen you'll see [on the wheel] Arcade, Computers, Consoles.  (You won't see All.  It's not a Category. It's simply... All games)

Then when you select Consoles, you'll see Nintendo 64Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo Game Cube, Nintendo Wii etc. [on the wheel].  But what you won't see (in addition to all those sub-Categories) is all the 2823 console games.  (That would really clutter up the wheel.)  Where-as in LaunchBox, you can click Consoles and in the main [middle] section you'd see all the 2823 console games.

Likewise, [in BigBox] when you click Nintendo Wii, you'll only see its' subsets.  Which in your case only consists of Favorites.  In addition to Favorites, you will not see all 304 Wii games. (Again, would really clutter up the wheel.)

Sorry for all the back-and-forth.  Hopefully this [finally] clears things up (and makes sense).

To see all your Wii games when in View Platform Categories (BigBox) along with the Wii Favorites playlist in Nintendo Wii, you'd need to create another playlist.  Simply set the Auto-Populate parameters to Platform - Is Equal To - Nintendo Wii.  In Parents, check the box next Nintendo Wii (Platform).  (un-check Root if it isn't already.)  Then set the Name(s) to something like "All Wii Games".

This will now show 2 different items on the wheel when in Nintendo Wii.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

I did some playing around this morning and came to the conclusion that what you are seeing in BigBox is working by design.

Unlike LaunchBox, when in View Platform Categories, only the main categories and their subsets get shown.  (Similar to [exactly as?] shown in the Parents tab when editing the playlist)

So in BigBox, on your 1st Categories screen you'll see [on the wheel] Arcade, Computers, Consoles.  (You won't see All.  It's not a Category. It's simply... All games)

Then when you select Consoles, you'll see Nintendo 64Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo Game Cube, Nintendo Wii etc. [on the wheel].  But what you won't see (in addition to all those sub-Categories) is all the 2823 console games.  (That would really clutter up the wheel.)  Where-as in LaunchBox, you can click Consoles and in the main [middle] section you'd see all the 2823 console games.

Likewise, [in BigBox] when you click Nintendo Wii, you'll only see its' subsets.  Which in your case only consists of Favorites.  In addition to Favorites, you will not see all 304 Wii games. (Again, would really clutter up the wheel.)

Sorry for all the back-and-forth.  Hopefully this [finally] clears things up (and makes sense).

To see all your Wii games when in View Platform Categories (BigBox) along with the Wii Favorites playlist in Nintendo Wii, you'd need to create another playlist.  Simply set the Auto-Populate parameters to Platform - Is Equal To - Nintendo Wii.  In Parents, check the box next Nintendo Wii (Platform).  (un-check Root if it isn't already.)  Then set the Name(s) to something like "All Wii Games".

This will now show 2 different items on the wheel when in Nintendo Wii.

All in all, the category serves its purpose, but I was surprised that I couldn't set the rest of the games to be visible. I spent too much time in Hyperspin, Attraction, etc., where it wasn't a problem to do something like that, but other things weren't possible that could be done here, hehe.

Well, that's how it is + the fact that when I add a given game to Favorites on a given platform, the game is not only added to Favorites on the platform, but also to the main Favorites in the Main Menu, so that's nice. 

It's a pity that you can't add an All Games playlist quite quickly, like in Attraction, etc., but as you say, it would probably be one big mess + BB wouldn't work and would make such a list of games cluttered. 
I'm a bit surprised that the engine is newer than Attraction, and BB can clog the edges of a very large number of games, whereas in Attraction I could have a dozen or so thousand games and only occasionally it had a crunch.

The biggest problem was and is the modules for RL, something always didn't work, etc. and in LB BB the games run without any problems, unfortunately at the expense of the terribly poor Fade screen setting, which I miss ;(

I think I've come to the conclusion that I will add Favorites from the Auto child playlist level, it will be a bit more clicking, but it will be tidy, I think.

You don't have to apologize, you wanted to find out as much as possible about the problem and it turned out that there wasn't really a problem, that's just how it works, it's just a pity that your time was wasted :(

I'm a newbie in LB BB, so it's different, I teach what to eat with it, as I see some people practice BB so much that it's magic 

I'm just going to sit down and test it, but I think I'll stick to what I wrote above, i.e. Auto child Playlist + maybe genre (it works a little differently than in Hs) I like to keep my collections in order. There used to be no way out, you had to sit on the playlist view, but now it's all about choosing a color

Yes, yes, I know, let's see what will come of it :P

• Game On 1

6 minutes ago, KRI$85 said:

you wanted to find out as much as possible about the problem and it turned out that there wasn't really a problem, that's just how it works, it's just a pity that your time was wasted

Ya, that's my problem.  I see a problem/issue/concern where someone says something along the lines of "this can't be done in LB/BB", and I get on a mission to find a way that "it can be done".  lol  Hence many of the plugins I created.

Personally, I don't call it a waste of time. Especially when I learn from it and figure out the how's and why-for's of whatever-it-is. :D

• Unusual Gem 1

2 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Ya, that's my problem.  I see a problem/issue/concern where someone says something along the lines of "this can't be done in LB/BB", and I get on a mission to find a way that "it can be done".  lol  Hence many of the plugins I created.

Personally, I don't call it a waste of time. Especially when I learn from it and figure out the how's and why-for's of whatever-it-is. :D

You know, there are definitely some limitations in LB and BB, but for someone who makes plugins and knows what they're doing, knows what to look at, they probably don't know the word "impossible".

Plugins are a very good idea in LB, it's just a pity that some of them are no longer supported. 
It's great that there are people who create themes, plugins and other things, even though they are probably not appreciated by others.

I hope that the creators will add more advanced, new options someday,
- such as Hi-Score displayed on another screen, something like iscored (even paid)  
- Fade like in RL but obviously few people are interested in it and most people are satisfied with what is there and why is there a RL which if it weren't for these problems with modules and other minor things would be sufficient but it hasn't been supported for years :(

- I would probably be most happy if they added a Move List to the Fighting Game Instruction Card, i.e. an overlay on the Bezel with punches on the left and right.
even if it is paid extra :P

No, you know, if you can still learn, it can't be called a waste of time.

I need to delve into this program for creating themes 
because I always miss something in a given theme (most of them are bullshit, but as I said, too much HS) and maybe one day I will be able to create something and add a brick to this noble Project

There was a magician on this Forum (I'm sure you knew him, you know him) who did and still does magic for me, fairy-tale-realistic themes, etc., he shared his projects with people but I guess something went wrong and he went on his own, now he teaches and shares his work for $

Edited by KRI$85
  • Like 1