LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to close down launchbox on USB drive

Dr_Wolfman

Hi,

I have a licensed version of Launchbox and big box. running on windows 10

I have had problems with corrupt scripts on re launch which I've been told can happen through incorrect shutdown.

I've tried putting launchbox on a seperate drive with nothing else on the drive. I've noticed if I go to eject the drive after closing down launchbox I keep getting the message "the device is still in use" but on using taskmaster to see if Launchbox is still running there is nothing running. I've been closing the PC to disconnect the drive. However I can still get the corrupt script errors. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 hours ago, Dr_Wolfman said:

Hi,

I have a licensed version of Launchbox and big box. running on windows 10

I have had problems with corrupt scripts on re launch which I've been told can happen through incorrect shutdown.

I've tried putting launchbox on a seperate drive with nothing else on the drive. I've noticed if I go to eject the drive after closing down launchbox I keep getting the message "the device is still in use" but on using taskmaster to see if Launchbox is still running there is nothing running. I've been closing the PC to disconnect the drive. However I can still get the corrupt script errors. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have "FAST STARTUP" enabled or disabled?

Do you keep this external disk, (or disks), connected to the PC all the time? like it's plugged in literally 24/7 or do you use it on other systems or even other OS's on the same system?

Can you disconnect the disk(s) on a fresh reboot of the system, prior to running LB or any program?

If you aren't familiar this is where fast startup setting is

image.thumb.png.1f1f455fe35fbe667a1303f8cf668157.png

• Like 1

@Skizzosjt Thanks for your help. 

I put launchbox on the hard drive, and USB flash drive from a laptop where I have internet access. Running windows 10. I then take them to a PC running windows 10, but no internet. in all cases at some point I get the script error messages.

I have tried leaving the drives pluged in, and removing them after a shutdown. It was just I noticed if I tried to "safley remove hardware" I kept getting the message the drive was in use.

I have not hear of FastStartup, and will give it a go. Also If I can find it I will try the Beta version.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Dr_Wolfman said:

@Skizzosjt Thanks for your help. 

I put launchbox on the hard drive, and USB flash drive from a laptop where I have internet access. Running windows 10. I then take them to a PC running windows 10, but no internet. in all cases at some point I get the script error messages.

I have tried leaving the drives pluged in, and removing them after a shutdown. It was just I noticed if I tried to "safley remove hardware" I kept getting the message the drive was in use.

I have not hear of FastStartup, and will give it a go. Also If I can find it I will try the Beta version.

Thanks again

OK you have provided some info that is important to me regarding your comments about corruption to files or to your disks. The critical bit is you are moving them between different systems. Though, it is possible to get corruption even if you aren't using them on multiple systems or even multiple OS's on the same system....doing what you are can really exaggerate the issue or in other words make it more likely to occur. Fast Startup in a TLDR explanation is basically a pseudo hibernation feature for Windows. But it frankly causes more harm than it does good. Feel free to google "why you should disable fast startup" and you will find this is the general consensus and it's not just some opinion of a random clown on the internet like myself. Going into a little more detail is your external disks are part of the statuses saved in the pseudo hibernation state of Fast Startup and it will "lock" them. If you move that disk to another system or even boot to another OS on the same system it can create corruption. I know this first hand all to well! Took me months to understand why I was getting frequent corruption on externally connected disks over USB 3.0 that was extremely exaggerated when I started moving these disks between different systems/OS's.

Make sure you disable Fast Startup ASAP! This feature is enabled by default unfortunately so I'd bet it is enabled on your systems. Disable it on all your systems and I hope that makes all your disk corruption issues go away! This was the smoking gun issue in my case so it is very possible you have same thing going on.

Regarding disks not being capable of ejected via tray icon. For what it is worth I have a system running Windows 10 and macOS, and another system running Windows 11. I can NEVER eject disks via the tray icon on Windows 10. Even after doing a restart and before running LB or any program at that. I'll restart Windows Explorer, close all store front programs, anything I can think that could access a disk gets task killed and never seems to help get them to eject. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it's the reality. Now contrary to that, on Windows 11 I can ALWAYS eject these disks via the tray icon. Even AFTER running and closing LB. So I sure cannot point the finger at LB in this scenario. To me, seems more like how Windows handles dealing with external disks.  I personally have not seen any different behavior from one LB version to the next regarding this.